2019 Freedom 275-Bennett Trim Tab indicator issue

Chaos10b

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I’ve an issue with my Bennett trim tab indicator. Started with nothing on indicator. After doing a recalibration multiple times, the alternating red flashing stopped. Now it is not showing the position of the tabs. I can hear the tabs moving when I actuate them and when they auto stow on shit down. Any ideas?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
First, I would PHYSICALLY verify that the tabs are moving. You can hear the MOTOR running, but you don't know for sure that the tabs are moving without checking.

Second, there's usually a pretty good troublehsooting guide in the owner's manual (which should also be available online if you don't still have the original). Also, Bennett is usually quite responsive to phone calls - but realize that all manufacturers, right now, are EXTREMELY busy so it could take some time.

However, things you can do in the meantime...

-- Check fluid in the reservoir - I assume you know this, but do it with the tabs retracted.
-- Remove/clean/inspect/install all electrical connections/plugs associated with the system.

seasick

Reaction score
You will need help from Bennett (now Yamaha :( ) Check out their troubleshooting guides. There isn't a lot you can check other than connections since the controller (s) are not serviceable. Assuming the tabs are moving, you can probably check that the auto retract function is working. That info may help the diagnosis. The position signals have separate harnesses for each tab and it is unlikely that both sensors went bad at the same time.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't understand the logic, but one thing Tabman used to emphasize was that all the screws on the back of the switches needed to be in place, and tight, even if they had no wires connected to them.

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I'm having similar issues with my 2021 Freedom 285. Planning to ask the dealer to address it once I take the boat out of the water for winter. I know the trib tabs are moving because I feel it when I'm running, but the indicator lights are not consistent at all, and mostly are not working at all.