2020 208 Bimini boot "snap fast" not holding

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Apologies for not including my problem in a 3 year old thread on the same subject, I figured it would be buried in the dust bin.

I am experiencing issues with the bimini boot strap not being able to be secured to the deck by use of the factory installed “snap fast” . The process, according to the the manufacturer of the bimini, is to align the "notch" on the socket portion of the snap with the little foot on the stud and then rotate the strap (with socket) . The problem is that the socket needs to be rotated 180 degrees in relationship to the foot, but because of its configuration, the strap can only be rotated about 15 degrees which does not produce a secure lockdown.

I've uploaded a vid on a youtube account (not mine) to help show what I am trying to describe

Question(s): has anyone else experienced the same problem? Have you discovered a fix? If so, did you: A) loosen the screw rotate the stud? B ) disassemble the socket and rotate it?
C) something else?

thanks in advance

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Seems like I might be stating the obvious, but... rotate the white, plastic piece.

But... why does it even need a strap? There's no way that boat goes fast enough to lift the bimini up. I can't even imagine it doing it during trailering. Besides, if that's the purpose of the strap, the strap should be going forwards, to hold the bimini down, not backwards where it can still lift up.

Reactions: w&w

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Agree on many counts. Yes rotate the stud (white plastic piece), and HOPEFULLY the bimini won't need a tie down. Was thinking about choppy conditions and some wind catches it and raises it enough to get in way of sight. But what do I know? New boat and fears untested. And yes, agreed the strap facing wrong direction.

As much as I agree with you, I was hoping for conclusions from someone with lots of experience with exactly this.

But thanks for supporting my intuitive answers.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The tie down is useful. The bimini will float up 10-12 inches or so and slam back down if you're pushing through the ocean chop. I learned that the one time I hadn't latched it down, though my latches are below the bimini boot, so it can't float up at all.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Chop... OK, that makes sense. I was only thinking of "air". But I can see how how chop (momentum) could pick it up a bit - especially up in the bow where the largest amount of bouncing happens.

But, regardless, the strap is the wrong way. Re-mount the stud in a more approprate spot. The way the strap and the stuf mate together in the first few seconds of your video is the correct way they are supposed to go together (there shouldn't be any need for twisting, just in the wrong spot. The stud should be mounted below the bimini and the "ear" of the stud should be facing downwards. The ear is supposed to face the opposite direction of the anticipated pull.

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Gee, that's what I wanted to do on a brand new boat that cost a few pennies. Take out the studs, fill the holes, disguise or gel coat, relocate the studs, and THEN detatch the straps and sew in new location.

Sure hope others have other solutions.

o_O

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Gee, that's what I wanted to do on a brand new boat that cost a few pennies. Take out the studs, fill the holes, disguise or gel coat, relocate the studs, and THEN detatch the straps and sew in new location.

Sure hope others have other solutions.

o_O
Well, maybe this isn't intuitive, but have you thought about asking your dealer to rectify the situation and fix it? It's really a pretty simple job - holes can easily be fixed, sewn things are easily remedied, as well. What else would the solution be, except to make it right? You know that it's wrong right now - and you know what the fix is - plain and simple. Choices are to leave it alone and have something to complain about, or fix it (yourself or dealer). ;)

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
yah, I will need to talk to the dealer and see who is responsible. I have a strong feeling that the bimini manufacturer (Great Lakes Boat Tops) sewed the straps so that the position of the studs had to be where they are. I have asked them via email (pictures included) about it and there was no mention that the studs and strap were erroneously installed.

I would like my relationship with the dealer to remain respectful and cooperative, so obviously I need to be diplomatic.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think you have a very fair request - something is obviously done incorrectly. But, yes, I agree with the diplomatic approach. There's no reason to be "that guy" where the guys at the dealership cringe when you walk in! :)

If you flipped the boot cover around... that would solve the problem with the female portion of the snaps, right? Maybe what happened at the factory was that the new guy was in charge of this install and with the boot cover on backwards, he figured "OK, I guess this is where the male snaps have to go"... Meaning, the thought process started and stopped very quickly on that one... ;)

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As Dennis said, I think your boot cover is backwards. Try reversing it and see if it lines up on the snap hooks that way.

I owned a 208 about 15 years ago...I seem to recall having a similar issue.

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks all for the input. Not to belabor the point but I just examined the options discussed. If the little white plastic stud were removed and moved forward of the folded bimini, I have a feeling it would be subject to receive and to give damage as it would be in a place that gets walked and sat on (see attached pict with purple outline of proposed strap position). The blue line represents possible position of strap down the side of the "cabin".

Another and much simpler idea I had was to make a strap that would wrap around the bimini and snap to two existing cushion studs. (Yellow circles)20200821_133610.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The problem I see with using those existing snaps is that they won't actually keep the strap snapped down. As soon as the bow bounces enough to pop the bimini up, it will simply unsnap.

I like your idea of putting it on the side of the cabin - but at the same time, the white stud is pretty much the same thing as a regular snap in terms of "damage" (or lack there of). It's really not any worse, or better, in that sense. I wouldn't have any concerns about putting the white stud in the purple location.