2021 180 fisherman

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well damn... if all of this is true and GW isn't wanting to do anything for you to fix it or make it right then they lost just about any respect that I had for them, as the customer always comes first. Even after they deliver a product, the boat should be under warranty and those cracks, blisters and other things pictured clearly aren't something you did in the few months of owning it. That's embarrassing...

John naile

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
When you drive three hours for repairs and never full resolved time to move on. Dealer very poor customer service. 18 ‘ Lowry

John naile

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Well damn... if all of this is true and GW isn't wanting to do anything for you to fix it or make it right then they lost just about any respect that I had for them, as the customer always comes first. Even after they deliver a product, the boat should be under warranty and those cracks, blisters and other things pictured clearly aren't something you did in the few months of owning it. That's embarrassing...
It’s under warranty tried three or for time to get repairs. That may never hold anyway. Dealer and their customer service blamed it all on me or says it is normal for these cracks to appear.
It’s cosmetic they say 64,000.00 total invested, I don’t think so. Grady White customer service is o so nice promise stand behind repairs. Can’t keep running 3 hour trips for dealer to screw up over and over. Have a few hindered buck tied up in gas. All high end fiberglass don’t want third party involvement. Afraid they will own all problems with gelcoat.Think I spent enough time with both companies. Both companies and Yamaha stopped sending surveys to me they don’t like me responses. Go figure.

Paid in bricks

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
You should talk with a lemon law lawyer there are generally laws in most states that cover boats under the lemon law just like cars it sounds like you have a case. I just had had my 2001 265 Grady White Express transom replaced do to there poor design that they are aware of and when I talked with Grady White About it they said there was nothing wrong with the design except every fiberglass shop I talked to has done a dozen of these model boat and has said it was a poor design good luck. GradyWhite customer service sucks

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not sure if they can help you out at all, but I had an issue with a local engine company here about 15 years ago and to where I contacted the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The company was in eastern Washington, of which I bought a motor from them for my 1965 mustang and they claimed it would have 400 hp. I installed the motor in the car, drove the car, yet it didn't seem anywhere near 400 hp and it seemed like it just stalled out around 3,500 rpm. I took the car to a chassis dyno shop to see what it was actually putting out for horsepower, which was 273 hp at the rear wheels, which equates to around 310-320 hp at the motor. On the computer, it also showed the horsepower and torque figures flattening out after 3,500 rpm, meaning that the company installed the wrong camshaft in the motor as typically on a street car you'll have something that makes power up until 6k rpm or so. I voiced these issues and complaints to the company and they pretty much told that me I was out of luck. I contacted the BBB and long story short, we ended up going to arbitration over the phone and they sided in my favor after I showed them the dyno sheet as well as the notes from the dyno shop about how the motor wasn't what I should've gotten from the company. On top of that, I also sent them all of the email conversations back and forth with the company about how they wouldn't help me out at all.

John naile

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
It’s under warranty tried three or for time to get repairs. That may never hold anyway. Dealer and their customer service blamed it all on me or says it is normal for these cracks to appear.
It’s cosmetic they say 64,000.00 total invested, I don’t think so. Grady White customer service is o so nice promise stand behind repairs. Can’t keep running 3 hour trips for dealer to screw up over and over. Have a few hindered buck tied up in gas. All high end fiberglass don’t want third party involvement. Afraid they will own all problems with gelcoat.Think I spent enough time with both companies. Both companies and Yamaha stopped sending surveys to me they don’t like me responses. Go figure.
Talked with several attorneys, Grady has more money and time than I do. If taken to court I would lose. It’s cosmetic not safety also in sales contract normal cracks may appear this is normal and not a structural problem. Jury wouldn’t find in favor of boat owner , they have money. Should have bought a trophy.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is unacceptable. You need to work with the dealer and ensure GW is involved. I'd want a new boat.

Johnyrude200

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
1. If you took ownership of the boat in this condition, which you still have not answered this question - then this is your fault as if it was in fact in this condition you should not have. If the dealer was stringing you along, they are a bad dealer for not be honest. Why did you stay with them to start?

2. You are in a cold climate. Crazing can happen if whoever is wrapping your boat, or you, allow the boat to get soaking wet and freeze repeatedly, or if the boat is wrapped improperly with poor ventilation. Getting wet and freezing a little isnt an issue - but repeatedly doing this and sitting in a parking lot as many boats do when shrinkwrap lines back up at dealers - that isnt too good. If you are hiring a mobile marine service to do the work - they are notorious for wrapping boats wrong. Most customers think boats should be wrapped so tight that the entire thing is encapsulated - this is wrong.

3. You sound like a difficult person to deal with based on your repeated postings here. Good - stay away from Grady boats you dont deserve to have one, or any boat for that matter.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Many new boats have some imperfections that once identified are taken care of by then dealer. Have not even heard of many issues that needed to be elevated to GW. Have you tried to elevate the issue with GW management? May be worth a shot.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
1. If you took ownership of the boat in this condition, which you still have not answered this question - then this is your fault as if it was in fact in this condition you should not have. If the dealer was stringing you along, they are a bad dealer for not be honest. Why did you stay with them to start?

2. You are in a cold climate. Crazing can happen if whoever is wrapping your boat, or you, allow the boat to get soaking wet and freeze repeatedly, or if the boat is wrapped improperly with poor ventilation. Getting wet and freezing a little isnt an issue - but repeatedly doing this and sitting in a parking lot as many boats do when shrinkwrap lines back up at dealers - that isnt too good. If you are hiring a mobile marine service to do the work - they are notorious for wrapping boats wrong. Most customers think boats should be wrapped so tight that the entire thing is encapsulated - this is wrong.

3. You sound like a difficult person to deal with based on your repeated postings here. Good - stay away from Grady boats you dont deserve to have one, or any boat for that matter.
1. The OP mentioned in post #19 that "Be aware and inspect any boat you may purchase very well. Dealer and Grady White got their money and don’t really care about their craftsmanship. There are so many cracks and defects the boat never should have been sold as new. Dealer also delivered boat to me dirty kind of hard to see defects also wouldn’t expect a Grady to sell a boat in this condition." And to his defense, you wouldn't think a brand new boat from a very, very reputable dealer like Grady White should need to be gone over with a fine tooth comb upon delivery. You'd think, or at least hope, that it wouldn't have any issues with it at all. I'm assuming he probably stayed with them because that was the dealer he likely did business with and delivered the boat to him to begin with.

2. I find it very difficult to believe that over one winter the boat had that many cracks, especially when I bought my boat out of Maryland and my boat doesn't have anything even close to what the OP's brand new boat looks like. And my boat has always been an outside boat as well.

3. Why would you assume that the OP is a difficult person and mention their repeated postings on here? All 15 of his postings have been on this one thread. If what he says is true, which I don't have any reason at this point to doubt him, I'd be extremely pissed having spent $60k on anything and not be completely satisfied with my purchase. Lastly, the OP doesn't deserve to have "any boat for that matter"? Damn dude, that's definitely a bit uncalled for.

To the OP, it looks like there are a couple of Grady White dealers in the area of where you live. Have you tried reaching out to any of them to see if they'll do anything to help you?

John naile

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
That is unacceptable. You need to work with the dealer and ensure GW is involved. I'd want a new boat.
They refused replacement Taylor Marine Center doesn’t care they are working for Grady White. Replacement not an option, they don’t care. They got their money. Taylor Marine said all these cracks are normal, and other problems blamed on me when I had boat in water once. Never sign a contract on a boat that has not been built yet. What an ass I was. Never expected this from a hi end company as Grady White. Next boat , Lowery

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd write a nice letter to Kris Carrol at GW. Send it registered mail and also to Cust Service via the website. Be professional but firm, you want a new boat or it corrected.

John naile

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I'd write a nice letter to Kris Carrol at GW. Send it registered mail and also to Cust Service via the website. Be professional but firm, you want a new boat or it corrected.
Really been through customer relations with Grady, they have more time than I do they are just waiting me out. They don’t care , got their money.

John naile

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Really been through customer relations with Grady, they have more time than I do they are just waiting me out. They don’t care , got their money.
Bert Kelley customer relations, been working with him for over a year now I believe. Sounds nice enough to talk to my only option for repair is Taylor Marine Delaware or Maryland. No one else will get involved in repairs, don’t want to own the problem. Bottom line Grady White wins, probably sell this one never buy another Grady White. Poor quality won’t stand by their product. I honestly believe this.

John naile

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Bert Kelley customer relations, been working with him for over a year now I believe. Sounds nice enough to talk to my only option for repair is Taylor Marine Delaware or Maryland. No one else will get involved in repairs, don’t want to own the problem. Bottom line Grady White wins, probably sell this one never buy another Grady White. Poor quality won’t stand by their product. I honestly believe this.
If I could find third party Grady won’t cover warranty on repairs. Basically my problem at that point.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Im going to be honest. You sound defeated and with that attitude they will win. Now is the time to contact Kris directly and give her a chance. If they take no action, then I'd follow it up with a burn to the ground letter meaning you will go very public with your experience with the aim to damage their reputation unless they stand behind their product and make it good.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Im going to be honest. You sound defeated and with that attitude they will win. Now is the time to contact Kris directly and give her a chance. If they take no action, then I'd follow it up with a burn to the ground letter meaning you will go very public with your experience with the aim to damage their reputation unless they stand behind their product and make it good.
I agree with this in part... though if I'm being honest, I think that I've heard more complaints about Grady White boats in the last 2 years or so then I've ever heard up until that time. Hopefully that's not a sign of the things to come and what we can expect from GW in the future, but if anything that the OP says is even remotely close to being accurate, it seems like they're having some serious quality control issues on their products and simply don't care that much about the needs of the customer anymore.

John naile

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I agree with this in part... though if I'm being honest, I think that I've heard more complaints about Grady White boats in the last 2 years or so then I've ever heard up until that time. Hopefully that's not a sign of the things to come and what we can expect from GW in the future, but if anything that the OP says is even remotely close to being accurate, it seems like they're having some serious quality control issues on their products and simply don't care that much about the needs of the customer anymore.
It’s all about the money, they really don’t care about the customers. I tried to voice my problems on their website can’t remember address. They wouldn’t post it, no surprise.

John naile

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Cut all ties with Grady White and Taylor Marine in Delaware and Maryland. They win got their money don’t care at all about customer satisfaction. Don’t believe it’s good luck but renaming the boat. “All cracked up” it is very fitting for this boat. Be very careful and fully inspected any boat purchased from Grady White.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

That is pretty much the definition of defamation, the intent to damage one's reputation. If he can't win this battle, I wouldn't advise painting his face on a target for that war.

I would get a reputable, independent, certified/licensed marine surveyor to make a thorough assessment of the boat, and if his report supports your claim, use that as the basis of your complaint.

Last edited: