2021 228 electronics

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just ordered a 2021 228 with the Yamaha F250 on it. It is supposed to be shipped on June 6, hopefully Covid doesn't mess that up. I believe it comes with the CL7 set up for gauges. I'm on here trying to find out what I can fit in the boxes at the helm as far as electronics. I was thinking of going with a Garmin because it supposedly talks to the CL7? I would like to add radar as well as a GPS/sonar package. Does anybody have any Dash pictures of a newer Grady with the units mounted in it? Also, what type of transducer is best. At the dealership I saw a very large one mounted on the back, not sure the brand. What about a through hole so they don't have to mess with adjustments? Any input would be great as I can do now is read about stuff

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ah, the new boat smell of VOCs! I have an icom 504 radio up top with an Alpine marine stereo on a Gimbal. I have a 9 inch Garmin 942xs plus in the helm ebox on a gimbal. you could go 10 or even 12 in it. I still have an old school airmar m260 shoot through the hull 50/200 transducer. Garmin as side vu and clear vu sonar options as well as the standard chirp in their MFDs. each type of sonar has specific transducer requirements. congrats and enjoy the boat.

mkslug

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just installed a Garmin 8616 in my 228 but it’s a 2006. Along with Fantom 18 radar, a TM275 LHW transducer, which is the size of a melon, and a Simrad pilot. Had to have a new dash built to accommodate the display. There are several posts from Seafarer owners with pictures over the last year or so, including some of more recent models. So do a search. Lucky dude has a 2020 which is likely the exact layout as yours. Bro-Cal did some dual Garmins last year. The Adventure has a similar dash and a few people have posted pics of theirs recently as well.

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ah, the new boat smell of VOCs! I have an icom 504 radio up top with an Alpine marine stereo on a Gimbal. I have a 9 inch Garmin 942xs plus in the helm ebox on a gimbal. you could go 10 or even 12 in it. I still have an old school airmar m260 shoot through the hull 50/200 transducer. Garmin as side vu and clear vu sonar options as well as the standard chirp in their MFDs. each type of sonar has specific transducer requirements. congrats and enjoy the boat.
Thank you so much for the reply. So far I'm looking at the 943xs and considering a second unit to separate the radar. Not sure what the VOCs means. looking for some information on whether I can put a through hull or two? and still get the same features that are available with the 943.

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just installed a Garmin 8616 in my 228 but it’s a 2006. Along with Fantom 18 radar, a TM275 LHW transducer, which is the size of a melon, and a Simrad pilot. Had to have a new dash built to accommodate the display. There are several posts from Seafarer owners with pictures over the last year or so, including some of more recent models. So do a search. Lucky dude has a 2020 which is likely the exact layout as yours. Bro-Cal did some dual Garmins last year. The Adventure has a similar dash and a few people have posted pics of theirs recently as well.
Thank you for the reply. So far I am liking the Garmin 943XS and a possible second 943 to be able to see the radar on a separate screen. It all depends I have overhead. I will try to do some research on the two guys that you wrote of and see what they have. I've been trying to look through for some pictures. At this point, I'm told that the boat would leave the factory June 6, hoping that Covid doesn't mess that up . I'll be putting my 1996 adventure in when it warms up and use it until the new one gets delivered. For now All I can do is read and dream

davescarp

Reaction score
go on the Hull Truth and do some reading in the marine electronics forum. Which MFD you buy is a function of how you are going to use the boat. as for transducers, same. If you primarily fish inshore shallow waters you'll want to optimize your selections for that vs some that may be better for very deep fishing. You can spend as much as you want on MFDs, transducers, radar etc. but look to find what you really need that matches your boating needs and situations.

davescarp

Reaction score
oh, and post some pics of your 228, they are awesome.

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
VOC's,,,,, That new, fiberglass boat smell!!!
Thanks. Can't wait. The boat is supposed to be on a truck June 6. I'll be putting my 96 adventure in when it warms and fish till that time comes. Meanwhile just reading, research and dreaming

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
go on the Hull Truth and do some reading in the marine electronics forum. Which MFD you buy is a function of how you are going to use the boat. as for transducers, same. If you primarily fish inshore shallow waters you'll want to optimize your selections for that vs some that may be better for very deep fishing. You can spend as much as you want on MFDs, transducers, radar etc. but look to find what you really need that matches your boating needs and situations.
Thanks. I'm running a Lowrance unit now in my adventure. Looking to go touch screens in the new 228. We fish flounder and bass in the bays and will do more bass fishing out front with the 228 when it comes in.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks. I'm running a Lowrance unit now in my adventure. Looking to go touch screens in the new 228. We fish flounder and bass in the bays and will do more bass fishing out front with the 228 when it comes in.

Check out a local WM and play around. If your comfortable with Lowrance, their new units have touchscreen (HDS and Elite FS). I liked the Lowrance/ Simrad UI better than Garmin but that’s a personal preference and others prefer Garmin. Also, I wanted two units that fit a certain dimension which only the GO9s met as they had absolutely no buttons. The new Garmin GPS Maps would probably meet them since they have no buttons on the side now.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
CL7 is a 7607 with some Yamaha software. originally, the 76xx and 86xx mfd could do "almost" every yamaha function that the CL7 has...if you connected to the J1939 port... and it would display using the yamama gauge format. Now more garmin mfds have a J1939 port and can also emmulate a yamaha gauge. The 943 is one of them.

The CL7 has a garmin network port and it can be used just like a 7607. it will connect to your 943 and you can share all screens

Go on the garmin site and look at the 943 series OM manual.

943 is a nice unit for the price. get the 943xsv and a GT51M-TM (transom mount) so you can utilize the sidevu

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
CL7 is a 7607 with some Yamaha software. originally, the 76xx and 86xx mfd could do "almost" every yamaha function that the CL7 has...if you connected to the J1939 port... and it would display using the yamama gauge format. Now more garmin mfds have a J1939 port and can also emmulate a yamaha gauge. The 943 is one of them.

The CL7 has a garmin network port and it can be used just like a 7607. it will connect to your 943 and you can share all screens

Go on the garmin site and look at the 943 series OM manual.

943 is a nice unit for the price. get the 943xsv and a GT51M-TM (transom mount) so you can utilize the sidevu
Thank You for the reply. I went to the West Marine in Brick New Jersey. Karl walked me through several things and I'm liking the 943xsv combo with the radar. He showed 56UH transducer. Was considering a 943 next to it if space allows to separate the gps and radar when running. I read somewhere that the CL7 can also show anything from the linked units. Is that true?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thank You for the reply. I went to the West Marine in Brick New Jersey. Karl walked me through several things and I'm liking the 943xsv combo with the radar. He showed 56UH transducer. Was considering a 943 next to it if space allows to separate the gps and radar when running. I read somewhere that the CL7 can also show anything from the linked units. Is that true?
I don't have a CL7 but everything I read says you can use it like a 7607 and run charts/sonar/radar on the garmin network.

I reasearched everything Garmin recently for my upgrade.
West Marine has not been competetive on price. Check out Hodges or GPSstore online.
943 is new model and not discounted. You may still find 942xs Plus discounted to use as 2nd mfd???
943 has "better" screen, full sonar with added UH frequencies (xsv instead of xs(no sidevu)), SD card moved to back, added J1939 port (942 does not have J1939 for yamaha connection)

Consider a 1243xsv if you can squeeze one in. You can split screen when need but still have a huge screen when needed...
Price is less than two 943s.
Again, you might still find a discounted 1242xsv Plus. This is nearly the same as a 1243 and has a J1939 connector and Yamaha screen (at least thats what my owners manual says...)

A GT56UH will do fine for coastal fishing. It is a lower watt unit though as are all the "UH" transducers.
It will be great out at the reef sites. Get out of that bay and explore. You'll be running 50 miles for bluefins in no time.

If you get two, don't get a second MFD without sonar. The difference is maybe $150. With another sonar you open up the possibility down the road of adding a 1kw thruhull like a B175HW

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't have a CL7 but everything I read says you can use it like a 7607 and run charts/sonar/radar on the garmin network.

I reasearched everything Garmin recently for my upgrade.
West Marine has not been competetive on price. Check out Hodges or GPSstore online.
943 is new model and not discounted. You may still find 942xs Plus discounted to use as 2nd mfd???
943 has "better" screen, full sonar with added UH frequencies (xsv instead of xs(no sidevu)), SD card moved to back, added J1939 port (942 does not have J1939 for yamaha connection)

Consider a 1243xsv if you can squeeze one in. You can split screen when need but still have a huge screen when needed...
Price is less than two 943s.
Again, you might still find a discounted 1242xsv Plus. This is nearly the same as a 1243 and has a J1939 connector and Yamaha screen (at least thats what my owners manual says...)

A GT56UH will do fine for coastal fishing. It is a lower watt unit though as are all the "UH" transducers.
It will be great out at the reef sites. Get out of that bay and explore. You'll be running 50 miles for bluefins in no time.

If you get two, don't get a second MFD without sonar. The difference is maybe $150. With another sonar you open up the possibility down the road of adding a 1kw thruhull like a B175HW
Thanks for the input. I will read up on the 1243 and I like the thought of the through hull. Spent a lot of time out front over the years. Looking forward to the new ride...