204 Fuel fill hose removal

stevedonovan

Reaction score
After successfully removing gas tank from my '79 overnighter (with help from this forum, thank you!) I'd like to replace the fill hose. It appears to have been hose-clamped to the deck fitting prior to joining the hull/deck, as access is extremely limited- any ideas would be appreciated.
Regards, Steve

gw204

Reaction score
Do whatever it takes to get the clamp off. Cut the hose. Then unbolt the fitting and pull it out with the hose remnants attached.

seasick

Reaction score
stevedonovan said:
After successfully removing gas tank from my '79 overnighter (with help from this forum, thank you!) I'd like to replace the fill hose. It appears to have been hose-clamped to the deck fitting prior to joining the hull/deck, as access is extremely limited- any ideas would be appreciated.
Regards, Steve
You can remove (unscrew) the deck fitting and see if the clamped hose will pass through the hole. The hose itself might also be tie wrapped or sealed in place at some point. Look under the gunnel, sometimes you are able to see the bottom of the fitting and the clamp.
You may have to cut the fiberglass on the side of the deck/gunnel and make an access hole. Cut so that a deck plate (6 inch) can be installed later. Some hoses can be removed without a hole and some can't. I am not 100% familiar with that year hull but on those hulls, you may need to remove the interior trim panel on the starboard side of the helm. You may or may not be able to get to where the hose makes a turn towards the tank by removing the storage bin under the seat. On my 208 which is similar in design, I can see the hose clamp under the gunnel from the helm but there is also a sealant around the hose where it goes from above the deck to below deck.

stevedonovan

Reaction score
Thanks gw204 & seasick,
going with the 4" access hole/ deckplate approach.
Steve D.

2manyboats

Reaction score
I have the same boat, needing the same surgery. Plus a new transom (rot). Did you find any rot when you opened her up? How long did the project take, blah blah...Any advice now that you are a veteran?

cgmiller

Reaction score
I had to cut access holes in the gunnel of my Gulfstream when replacing my fuel hoses..I had to do one at the fill pipe as I could not get the fill pipe out since it was installed with bolts and washers and nuts...no way to get it out without getting a wrench on the nuts...I also had to cut one in the floor to fish the hose through the outside stringer...used plastic access hatches to repair the holes...