204C Live/bait well

controlsct

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
On my GW 204C I have the bait-well in front of the motor well. Looks like this original was fed with the same pump as the wash down pump with a y-valve to divert either to wash down or live well from the same thru-hull fitting. I replaced the sea-cock before launching boat and have not yet replaced the bad wash down pump or y-valve that is broken. I was thinking on removing the y-valve and replacing the wash down pump to use just as a washdown and adding another pump for the livewell. Has anyone else with a 204C done this? How did it work out? pictures? Thank you

wrxhoon

Reaction score
You can use this pump, it has a second outlet for your washdown pump. Screws on the through hull one outlet goes to your livewell , this pump is ideal for livewells, the other outlet you can run a hose to your washdown pump. So you have one through hull and two pumps . My old 228 only had one through hull and didn't have a washdown so I used this set up rather than a second through hull. Cheaper and no more holes on the hull.

42196.png

seasick

Reaction score
The thing to emphasize is that the above approach needs a second pump (and wiring and switch) to work. It does eliminates the need for a second through hull. The original solution needs one pump only and either a Y valve to select where the water goes, live well or wash down fitting.. The two pump approach is better in my opinion for several reasons, the main one being that a live well pump and a wash down pump are different beasts. The flow rates requirements are often different but more importantly, live well pumps are rated for continuous duty and wash downs aren't

controlsct

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks, yes two pumps its going to be. I was surprised to see the factory setup that way.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Controlsct, would you mind taking some pics of your current setup? Mine is an '89 204c and I have that same baitwell in front of the engine, but I only have one pump to it. There is no washdown. Just want to see how they came from the factory with the livewell/washdown, Thx.

controlsct

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Rob,

Below is exactly the way my 87 currently is plumbed. With the Y-valve mounted under the port rear seat box and the pump mounted under the starboard seat box.
YVALVE.png

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That pump shown above is a through the transom model, thus the long threaded nipple. You can get one with a short nipple straight out of the bottom of the pump, which sits on top of your through hull, and will be more secure, or less subject to vibration.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram. Looking forward to your progress on the 2 pumps. Will you be doing a freshwater wash down with a tank or keeping it saltwater?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
That's the very pump O had in my old boat as well Seasick. Like you said livewell pump is different to washdown. For livewells you need more volume and not high pressure as well as long duty pump . The other advantage with the rule pump you don't need the pump on when underway because the water is forced through the pump in to the tank. Washdown pump needs to be high pressure lower volume . Some cheap boar manufacturers use one pump for both with a Y valve, I have seen in Trophys.

controlsct

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks for the diagram. Looking forward to your progress on the 2 pumps. Will you be doing a freshwater wash down with a tank or keeping it saltwater?
I am going to do a saltwater wash down and separate live well pump. I fish out in the salt water but keep her in a boat slip up the CT river where it is fresh water.

seasick

Reaction score
I am going to do a saltwater wash down and separate live well pump. I fish out in the salt water but keep her in a boat slip up the CT river where it is fresh water.

Hmmm. That made me think. For salt water you would use zinc or aluminum anodes. For fresh water you would use magnesium or aluminum. So.. I would think you need to make sure your are rigged with aluminum anodes to handle both water types..