205 Freedom instrument panel

eric801

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I'm shopping for a 205. I can't fathom why the switches and hour meter etc are front and center and the gps, fish finder is hiding down by the captains knee.

how often do we use the switches while underway, sure it's nice to know what the motors doing but aren't we more often looking at the gps, where we are going, what's the water up ahead, navigational issues, the fisher finder/sonar?

Has anyone come up with a modification that allows me to move my gps screen up and to the left and put all those other electronics down by my knee where I have to take my eyes off where I’m going and my crew can’t see it either.

also, for anyone who has one, what are the measurements? I ask as where I live there aren’t any 205’s so I’m going a bit blind with how I might modify my dash to move things around.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
The helm /dash area is not that big and up top is where Grady decided to put the switches. I can understand that since the upper panel can be removed to get to the back wiring. A MFD could be mounted on the top of the console but that will block a lot your line of sight, especially if you are sitting while driving.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I looked at pics of a 205... like Seasick said, I don't see any way to fit something larger in a smaller space. Unless you have some magic potion that defies a measuring tape :)

Now... you "could" move the GPS up top using a bracket to hang the unit in FRONT (aft) of the upper dash - and then move the blocked items down lower. It'd be a lot of work... and even more to make it look nice.

Truth is, the location of the GPS isn't all that bad. It's not something you stare at while operating. It's more of an occasional glance. It'd be "nicer" to be higher - but it's really not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I have a 205 Freedom and yes everything is hard to see when operating this boat. When standing you have to look down taking your eye off the wheel. Otherwise still love this boat, it is a beast for a 20 footer.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned a 205...for literally 7 weeks. Loved the boat, hated the dash/controls setup.

I'm 6'3" and I could not comfortably run the boat standing up. For me the culprit was the side mounted throttle/binnacle. At speed, the handle was too low. Somehow I missed it during the sea trial or I would have never have purchased it.

In my case, the VHF was useless unless sitting down. The previous owner cut a hole and flush mounted it....at his knees.

48000649163_828761c52e_b.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag results in suboptimization. Horrible location for the VHF and GPS puck.

eric801

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I notice some newer 205 's have fish finder/nav positioned up higher on the dash and electrical lower. What year did they change this and is the newer dash piece available as a stock or after market part and would it fit as a retro fit in an older 205?

eric801

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
hi just updating my question. Does anyone have or could take a pic of the backside of the instrument panel and associated equipment such that i can figure out if moving all the electronics is a reasonable chore to do? from looking at the helm it appears I could remove the instruments, take out the black dash board, find a new piece of "black dash material' cut out what i need to and reinstall a new dash with the instruments in much more convenient location. check out the pics. 205 dash reconfig.jpg

Attachments

• 205 DASHBOARD some mods.jpg
    205 DASHBOARD some mods.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Coastboater

Reaction score
I posted in another thread in General Discussion of a dash I remodeled on a Freedom 225. I had New Wire make the new dash panel.
The hole I cut in the dash followed the outside edge of the new panel minus roughly 1/2”, so within reason and very important to minimize work extended wiring, cables, etc, I could position switches, breakers, Yamaha gauge, trim tabs wherever I wanted. The trim tabs switch ended up being close to as far as its ribbon cable would reach. The toggle switches had enough factory wire length to reposition without rewiring once all the cable ties were clipped
IMG_0366.jpeg

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini