205 steering wheel removal?

BCLII

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering how to remove my steering wheel from my 2009 Tournament 205. Does that chrome nut turn off or pop off? Looks as if the helm pump is leaking on the back side in the console. I think i can put a replacement seal kit in.
thanks,
Byron
PS. We still have ice covered lakes here in MN. May 12th, hard to believe!

grady23

Reaction score
I used a large gear puller and a brass hammer. If you are careful, any hammer will work. Once you get the nut loose out to the point where it is flsuh with the stem and put gentle pressure on the wheel its self. tap the nut while pulling on the wheel. It should pop free whitout to much force. I found that the only seal I needed to replace on mine was the outer stem seal. You will need a small pick to remove the old one. Be sure to lube the new one before inserting it.

BCLII

Reaction score
So the big chrome nut turns off easy? I don't want to scratch it up loosening it up.
thanks,
Byron

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like you don't have the factory destroyer wheel. That nut is hidden under a cover. The big nut on your wheel may come off by hand using a rag. Hate to put a wrench on it. Once loosened back off several turns but not all the way off. Have someone pull straight out on the wheel as you smack the nut with a 2x4 and hammer. Should loosen right up.

BCLII

Reaction score
I guess that's what I'm asking, does the chrome hexagon piece just pop off to expose a hidden nut? :hmm

mboyatt

Reaction score
The answer is NO, the chrome hexagon nut does not just "pop" off to expose the nut. You must turn the decorative hexagon nut counter clockwise to remove it. That will expose the nut below to remove the wheel. I would wrap the decorative nut up with something, and fit your wrench over the rag, etc..., to gently crank that baby off. As a side, if you scratch it, you can readily get the chrome hexagon nut for 20 bucks. Good luck!

mboyatt

Reaction score
Correction from my previous post. There is no nut holding on the wheel once you remove the decorative hexagon. Either way, you must remove the hexagon by going counter clockwise. Once it is off, you would then go with a wheel puller to get the wheel off. Sorry for rambling. Just remove the decorative nut off by cranking counter clockwise, then go from there. It is an easy project.

BCLII

Reaction score
Thank you, I will give it a go tomorrow. Need to get this done as the ice is almost off the lake now.
Byron