206g inside drain plug

Noworries

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I just bought a 1989 206g overnighter. Motor is on a bracket. Looking inside aft locker where the bilge pump is located, just fwd there is a drain plug, on the inside or fwd of the pump. Can't figure out what its for.....
Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I just bought a 1989 206g overnighter. Motor is on a bracket. Looking inside aft locker where the bilge pump is located, just fwd there is a drain plug, on the inside or fwd of the pump. Can't figure out what its for.....
Thanks
Can you re-explain? It hard to understand what you're saying - for example, what does "on the inside or fwd of the pump" mean?

And/or... post some pictures. Unless you're referring to a bulkhead that separates the aft bilge from something like the fuel "coffin" area? In that case, that's all it is.

Noworries

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
There is a area , aft, just inside the transom where the bilge pump is and the normal drain. Forward of that is a bulkhead. At the bottom is a drain plug ( the type you flip to tighten). This area would be by the fuel tank. I just don't understand why it would not be open.

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
It probably should be open but since someone plugged it, I suspect that there may be an issue with water running forward from the aft bilge. We know that those hulls tend to collect water towards the mid bilge area so may be the previous owner wanted to stop that. Another possibility is that the previous owner would winterize the mid bilge area with antifreeze and plugged the drain tube to keep the antifreeze from draining out. That is an interesting idea assuming that water doesn't get in there when the boat is stored. If it did the mid m=bilge would eventually fill up.
In any case, pull the plug for now.

Noworries

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
It probably should be open but since someone plugged it, I suspect that there may be an issue with water running forward from the aft bilge. We know that those hulls tend to collect water towards the mid bilge area so may be the previous owner wanted to stop that. Another possibility is that the previous owner would winterize the mid bilge area with antifreeze and plugged the drain tube to keep the antifreeze from draining out. That is an interesting idea assuming that water doesn't get in there when the boat is stored. If it did the mid m=bilge would eventually fill up.
In any case, pull the plug for now.
Boat has always been in Florida, on a trailer, so never Winterized. I'll pull it and see, just a odd place for a plug.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Technically, that drain can be plugged to prevent the possibility of fuel leaking into the bilge and then subsequently pumped overboard. So not really "odd" - it's perfectly normal. But it's sort of a personal preference whether one wants to use it or not.

seasick

Reaction score
Technically, that drain can be plugged to prevent the possibility of fuel leaking into the bilge and then subsequently pumped overboard. So not really "odd" - it's perfectly normal. But it's sort of a personal preference whether one wants to use it or not

I am not sure if there is a drain pipe that runs under the tank or if the area is open. In one of my boats, there is a pipe and both ends of the gas tank have bulkheads that are for the most part sealed. If gas leaks into the tank coffin, it does not flow into the bilge. On my 208, I am not sure if the coffin is open or 'sealed' Perhaps someone who has pulled a tank on a 208 knows for certain.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're right - it could be the drain that goes directly to the cabin bilge. I guess it would help to have pictures... or just figure it out with a snake/water/air... easy enough to do and then there's no guessing.