208 Adventure buying advice

Rusty gnome

Reaction score
It's time to sell my '81 Whaler Montauk and get something a bit larger and warmer for the growing kids and wife.I live in the PNW and fish for Salmon in summer/fall, crab and boat camp with the family. A family of 4 is maxed out when boat camping with the Montauk in the San Juan Islands. For the family to keep boating I have agreed to get something a little bit bigger and have settled on a looking for a nice used 93' or newer 208 Adventure.

After cruising the forums everyone seems to have a differing opinion regarding a 4-stroke 150hp vs. the 200. My budget is tight and Grady's out West cost a premium compared to East Coast or Florida based boats so budget might dictate which motor and options i end up getting on boat.

Is the Yamaha 150 4-stroke really a slug like so many claim? If so, why would grady pair that motor with a 208? Or is all the '150 is underpowered' bluster coming from speed freaks, those running offshore long distances?

I am not obsessed about hole shot speed, WOT etc. I watch the gas gauge and care about fuel burn so I really wonder if 200hp is a 'must have' or nice to have but only if you have the cash and for future resell value.

7 out of 10 times out this boat will be fished solo or with one other person the other times crabbing w/kids and camping with whole family of 4 and dog. I am quite content cruising mid-20's-32mph on the water and the waters here in the PNW are protected for the most part but prone to 1'-3' chop which is an unpleasant beating in the Montauk which i expect is a non factor in a 208. I am not running 30 miles offshore in the Pacific but do run 20-40 miles nearshore to get cruising grounds in San Juan Islands and Canadian Gulf Islands.

If the price was right i would consider a boat with a 2 stroke Saltwater Series Yamaha unless forum members recommend against going that route. How is that engine? Any issues with that era Yami that would be cause for concern? I also don't know the differences between the variety of Yamaha's that were put on that era such as the early Yami 4stokes vs. late model Yami saltwater 2 strokes.

Wondering what a 208 with a hardtop height measurement from the deck to horizontal support of a typical hardtop is and the headroom clearance under the hardtop at the helm standing? I am 6'4" so don't want to waste time looking for a hardtop if the headroom isn't' there or have to duck under each time i check the down rigger and could settle for a bimini if need be.

Would consider a mint Overnighter but 'Wet Transom' talk and older hull design has me a little less excited about going that route. Is the wet transom talk overhyped or is it pretty much consensus that it's a prevalent issue with the Pre-93 boats.

Any other buying advice or leads are appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post but I have always loved the lines of Grady's and excited to find my next boat.

Reactions: Eastern HighReach

zimm

Reaction score
Good luck. All I can offer is that you should broaden your search to the 226/228 too. Only 2 feet bigger, but larger cabin. Used the prices can sometimes be the same.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Steer clear of a boat with an F150....good engine but if want to pull a skier, or end up with a boat with a hardtop, it will be marginal.

The SWS and OX66 engines are bulletproof. They are thirsty, though. If it were me though, I'd look for one with a 200 HPDI. Super reliable and fuel efficient. There are a couple for sale on the East Coast right now. Even with shipping costs, you may still be able to stay on budget.

kabinfever

Reaction score
rusty, i have a 90 overnighter w/ a 2 stroke 225. if i repower the 150 would not be an option. im guessing hull wt. is similar and boat is too heavy for what your doing. my 225 is overkill but i think the 200hp 2 or 4 stroke would be a good all around size. i could use a couple hundred lbs in the bow w the 225 and batteries in the stern. the yamaha salt water series is very popular here in northeast.
i love the adventure/overnighter design layout but if your camping /sleeping on the boat w/ family, it would be very tight. i consider it a day trip boat unless its 1 or 2 people max as far as cuddy cabin goes. best of luck finding your boat

Rusty gnome

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far. I don't plan on sleeping on boat and realize that cuddy is tight. If it was just up to me I would forgo the 208 and get a used 209 CC Fisherman but it's a short boating season in the NW and understand that the wife gets cold on my Montauk and the kids too sitting on the cooler seat totally exposed to the elements. 208 seems like a good compromise for protection yet easy to tow and launch singlehanded. (anything larger won't fit in driveway, less economical and a PIA if I just want to fish for a few hours after work). Anyone know typical headroom clearance on a 208 w/hardtop?

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I have a SWSII 150 OX66 and love it. Thirsty? Yes. But that engine has been enough power for us. If I was doing it again, I would look for a 200 hpdi or 225 hp four banger. But, we looove the boat.

I don't have a hardtop (canvas top) but I'm just over six feet tall and I have about 6 inches between the top of my head and the bottom of the canvas top. Make sense?

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Owner of 1990 Overnighter - the right motor IMHO is the 200 4 banger. 150 is not enough. I'm 6 4 too

65aircooled

Reaction score
For the price difference vs space difference I'd include the seafarer in your list. I don't know what your budget is or what the prices are in the WC. I can tell you I paid $9,000 for my 226 with 483 hrs on both the hull and the motor (225 2 stroke) and that included a 2008 galvanized roller trailer wid disc brakes (1 axle) hard top and decent color Lowerance. I believe deals like that are still to be found, specially with season coming to an end.
As far as the motor being thirsty, it probably is, and I say probably because I don't know better (lack of experience with 4 stroke engines) but I can tell you that before buying I was worried about fuel consumption and now I am actually -and pleasantly- surprised. First day on the water we spent $100 from 10 PM to 5 PM and anchored twice, each time for less than 15 minutes because my wife and one of my kids got seasick.
Since that didn't work, we trolled in the bay for a while and spent the rest of the time giving the boys the thrill of speed and water splash and site seeing in the NJ/NY harbor and related lighthouses.
As I said, the following weekend it took just under $100 to fill the tank back up again.

For what is worth, I am 6' tall 210#, my wife and the two boys ages 9 and 7 and the deck and cabin size is perfect for us. Had another family of 4 on board last weekend and it was still good. A bit tight for fishing for my taste, specially if you are dealing with 4 impatient kids but fun none the less.
Good luck with your search

altouchet

Reaction score
I have the 2007 208 for sale on the classifieds page. I cannot imagine the F150 would be enough motor for this boat, especially if you have 3 or 4 people aboard and a full tank of gas. I have the F250 on mine. Is it more horsepower than necessary? Yes, but considering the F200, F225, and F250 of this year all weighed about the same, it made sense to go with the F250. My boat will easily cruise between 30 - 34 mph, and still get very good fuel economy! At 30 mph it burns a little more than 8 GPH.
Mine has bottom paint. Wide open throttle speed is about 47- 48 mph with the bimini up and full tank of fuel. I never run it this fast except for short bursts.
Now that there is a new F200 inline 4 cylinder on the market. That is probably the perfect motor for the 208.
Mine is in Louisiana which is closer to the West coast than many boats for sale out there. I have a friend that owns an insured hauling company. He could probably deliver it to you for about $2 per mile. Or, you could arrange to meet half way to save a few $$.
Make me an offer!
Al

Hotchief

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey Rusty,

I came off a Montauk and bought a 208 new in 2006.
It works great for all the reasons you describe. I live in the NW like you and it has provided us the ability to boat all year.
Mine has a hardtop and an F225.
I am 6'4" and can stand under the hardtop. My wife and 2 kids cruise all over the sound with this boat, if fact I've owned 20 boats from 14' to 30' and this Grady is the best boat I've ever owned.
It is so well built and the reliability and ease of maintenance is awesome.
We will be moving up to a larger Grady within 6 months.

Have fun with the hunt.

tomolalla

Reaction score
I live in Washington state, own a 1997 Adventurer hardtop with a 175 HP Evinrude Ocean Runner 2-stroke of the same year. I fish Puget Sound and the ocean plus do a little camping in the San Juan's too. The boat fishes 3 or 4 very well but will only sleep two. It is also a great ocean boat but make sure you get trim tabs to help work the swell. I've had plenty of power with the 175 with up to four adults and a couple kids. More power is always nice if you don't have to add too much weight to get it. So I'm looking at either the E-tech or new Yami 200 in the future, mainly for better gas mileage as I want to fish tuna. GW will send you a chart of various motors with the 208 and fuel consumption which may help make your decision on the motor. As far as the boat...I love it and did consider the larger GW's but since I like to trailer around the state to find the fish, I wanted to keep the tow weight down. Those larger boats that may be only a few feet longer get heavy real fast. I'm pretty sure there will be no $9,000 Adventurers around here, get ready to pay 3-4X's that for a nice one. Good Luck.

derx2

Reaction score
you are on the right track, part of the fun is narrowing down your search.

I dont know your budget, but I would stick with the Adventure or Seafarer 1993 and newer. Start looking boats with a 4 stroke, but if one comes up with a 2cycle (I like yamaha's personally) be ready to go for it for the right $$ and condition. Consider if you are willing to pay extra for a engine on a bracket or hardtop.

In the PNW, the runs to the fishing grounds are not as long as in other parts of the country or world so the fuel savings might not be as important here(you said you dont run offshore). Boats of these vintages with 4 stroke engines seem to be about $2-6000 more.

my boat:
204 Overnighter with a 1997-150 yamaha SWS ---------personally, I am mentally shopping for a 1993+ seafarer or 244 Explorer for my 'next boat". I have my boat set up nice and running sweet, so I am just enjoying the one that I have.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check the For Sale section....there is a 208 with a 225 Honda for sale...looks fairly priced and a fresh water boat, as well.

RBallou

Reaction score
I don't agree that a 4-stroke 150 hp engine is not enough for a 208 Adventure. Here is my experience. My boat is a 1999 208 Adventure w/o a hardtop. The engine, however, is a Mercury Verado 150 hp not a Yamaha F150. My engine probably produces more low-end torque than the Yamaha. With a full tank of gas, two people on board, and the usual full load of fishing gear and boat equipment, the boat hops right up on plane. With calm water, the top speed is 40 mph. At cruising speed (4000 rpm and 22-24 mph), the fuel use is between 3.8 and 4 mpg. At trolling speed (idle speed), fuel consumption is 0.3 gph.

I hope there is some useful information for yopu here.

Reactions: Eastern HighReach