208 Adventure fix outer cabin wall

marki55e

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
On our 1995 Adventure the outside cabin wall needs to be repaired. This is the wall between the helm and the cabin. There are two issues.
First is that there is a slot to insert a stereo in the wall. It is not sealed and over time water has gotten in through the slot and has done damage to the bottom of the wall. It has buckled and the outer layer of the board is papery and pealing off.
The second issue is that the foot rest under the helm on the same wall at some time was pushed down into the wall damaging it. The two screws holding the foot rest in place almost pushed forward. They did not pull out but forward enough to damage the wall.
** note ** This was all done before we bought the boat.

I am looking for some advice and if anyone has already had to do something similar. As I see it there are two options. First is to replace the wall, second is to put a new panel/board over it. Maybe a board on both sides and squeeze it together.

Why type of material would you use for the wall? Starboard, composite, wood ...

I would want to reattach the foot rest but do not need a slot for the stereo.

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
It may or may not be from the radio cutout. More likely is is due to water wicking up from the deck. Regardless, putting something over it is not advised. I don't remember the exact config especially what the foot rest attaches to. I have removed the access panel several times and don't remember having to remove the foot rest. If that is true and the foot rest is moving then I think you have a bigger problem than just a soft panel. They may be rot in that bulkhead.
My hull is a 2001 and yours may be different. In any case, a more detailed inspection and possible panel removal is in order.

marki55e

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Since I do have to make a fix, what type of material does everyone use for their walls or repairs?

seasick

Reaction score
If it is the deck mold or bulkhead, that is a fiberglass issue. It's structural. If it is the panel only, Starboard will do since that panel is not bonded to anything, it is screwed on.
You have to open up the area to see what is going on. You will only get guesses here. Take photos and post them if you want more detailed advice.