208 Adventure fuel tank replacement question

ric2352

Reaction score
Does this year have the large removable hatch over the tank on the deck? If so, not hard to replace the tank. There should be a smaller hatch forward of the seats at the helm. You need to remove both.

Captnobs

Reaction score
Starting in 1997, the 208 Adventure came with a poly 82 gallon tank. At the same time, they stopped providing the large gas tank hatch which requires you to cut the deck in order to replace the tank. :hmm Maybe the thinking is a poly tank should last forvever? IDK. This was almost a show stopper for me when I bought my 1997 208. I wish there was a hatch in case the tank ever did need to be replaced. There is a small hatch (about 3x2) where the the water tank is located, maybe this is what you think is the smaller gas tank? I dont know why you are only getting 40 gallons though.

Here is a picture of the deck. The only way to see the tank is through the 2 round deck plates.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    51.2 KB · Views: 3,286

Pay2Play

Reaction score
Captnobs said:
Starting in 1994, the 208 Adventure came with a poly 82 gallon tank. At the same time, they stopped providing the large gas tank hatch which requires you to cut the deck in order to replace the tank. :hmm Maybe the thinking is a poly tank should last forvever? IDK. This was almost a show stopper for me when I bought my 1997 208. I wish there was a hatch in case the tank ever did need to be replaced. There is a small hatch (about 2x2) where the the water tank is located, maybe this is what you think is the smaller gas tank? I dont know why you are only getting 40 gallons though.

FYI..my 95 has the large hatch and metal /aluminum tank. Just sayin

ric2352

Reaction score
I have a 1995 and it has the access deck panel and an aluminum tank.....wasn't sure when they started with the poly tank.

Captnobs

Reaction score
My bad, I think 1997 was the first year without hatch and with poly tank. In 1994, they started with the curved windshield.

Captnobs

Reaction score
My 1997 208 has a poly tank. Are you saying the deck was cut out, new tank installed, and deck was fiberglassed in again? I am not trying to be a PITA, just confused and curious how difficult it would be to replace a tank in this boat. Here are some other post regarding poly tanks in the 208.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20618

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8605

13rounds

Reaction score
I have the same boat and have an 82 gallon poly tank. I will tell you that the fuel gauge is very conservative and when my gauge shows an eighth of a tank I only fill 40 gallons. The way you can check the fuel tank size is removing the port side cubby and stick your head in. My fuel tank ends there and you can even check through the inspection plate in the cockpit area.