208 Adventure kicker shaft length

grunt

Reaction score
Just wondering about everyones thoughts
We have just retired and purchased a new to us 2007 Grady White 208 Adventure hardtop with a low hour Yamaha 150 hp 4 stroke outboard on it.
Didn't have a trailer with it so we ordered an Eagle custom bunk trailer for use in freshwater Lake Erie.
Same trailer we had under our 1985 Trophy 2459 hardtop which we recently sold.
Going to put a 9.9 high thrust Yamaha kicker with electric start and power tilt tiller operated on a fixed trolling motor bracket.
I really don't like the adjustable brackets as they are the weak link in the chain.
We had a 25" shaft on our Evinrude kicker on a fixed bracket on the Trophy and it worked out fine.
Just wondering if I should get a 20" or 25" shaft for the 208.
Want to make sure it is long enough to be submersed in the water when in use.
But not too long to be dragging when tilted and the boat is under power.
I know it depends on the fixed bracket design and mounting height.
I'll keep the bracket above the water line with the tiller handle in an easy to operate height from the aft of the boat.

Attachments

• Florida 2014 022.JPG
    Florida 2014 022.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,215

BCLII

Reaction score
I have a 2009 205 with a F-250. I mounted a Yamaha T-8 with a 25" shaft. Mine does not drag in the water while on plane, but F 250 picks me up out of the water quite well. A 25" shaft works good as I mounted it on a panther marine model 35 stationary bracket as the T-8 has tilt and trim!

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I had a kicker on my boat in the past but then it died. YOu need to go with as long a shaft as you can because if it's too short it will cavitate. You also need to push it out a bit from the stern as the cowling will hit the stern when you try to tilt it up. I put mine on a Panther remote auxillary motor lift (http://www.amazon.com/Marinetech-55-003 ... B0000VBY22) but had to get a custom aluminum bracket to push it out a little further from the hull so the cowling wouldn't hit. I used this set-up for about two months before my motor died. the other thing you might want to invest in is a road that connects your kicker to the main power. This way you can still steer from the helm.

If you are looking to get the Panther lift with the custom bracket, I'm selling mine. I can send a picture of it if you're interested but essentially new (they had to cut a wire to the controller to get it out but that's been spliced back together.

thanks
Michael

On The Prowl

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Freedom 205 with a 225 yamaha. Instead of a kicker for trolling my dealer(Demasdons in Point au Baril Ontario) convinced me to put a trolling plate on to slow dow for salmon fishing in lake Huron. I works great trolling speed has slowed to 1.5mph. Cheap solution about $175.00.

On the Prowl