208 adventure-looking into repower options.

mjd

Reaction score
hello all

I own a 1993 grady 208. It has a low hours 1993 yamaha 150hp outboard on it. The yamaha powers the boat just fine. 4000rpm is just under 30mph in flat water. I am looking for advice on what would be a good match for this boat when I decide to repower it either later this year or next year. Since I am going to spend some money on re powering I would love to also boost my cruising speen and obviously improve my fuel economy. I was thinking a 175hp Suzuki or mercury optimax. I should note that outboard engines are pretty new to me, so I am not to sure how old engine power and preformance stack up against newer ones. I think the 1993 yamaha 2 stroke precision blend engine is around 400lbs.

I really dont want a drop in cruising speed and The freeboard at the transom is adequate but not excessive so I imagine the weight of the engine is something to think about but maybe not. . .I would love to hear what people with experience with this boat have to say.

Thanks so much
matt

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your present engine weighs in at about 390 lbs. Any new 4 stroke is going to be significantly heavier and your boat was not designed for that . They changed the set up for the 208 with four strokes around 2002. So, a new Yamaha 4 cylinder F200 weighs about 100 lbs more. Same with Merc 200 Optimax Suzuki DF175 is a bit lighter at 485. Even the Eveinrude Etec G2 200hp weighs 509 lbs. The Evenrude ETec Gen 1 200HP V6 weighs in at 415 LBS which might work for you.

mjd

Reaction score
thanks for the info--the mercury optimax 175 weighs around 430lbs, I think that may be the closest fit as far as weight goes. I guess I can load/move some weight around on the boat to get a good idea how it sits with a heavier engine. I guess I was just hoping for some first hand info from someone who may have gone through the same thing. I think I read on here that someone re-powered with a yamaha f200 which weighs around 490lbs i think. I cant be the only person trying to safely repower a grady 208 with new power. . .at least I hope i'm not.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Keep in mind that your Grady is not a Yellow Fin or a Pursuit. It is not designed for high speeds. It is designed for stability in rough water and longevity. A 30 MPH or so cruise speed is exactly what it is designed for.

Mwills98

Reaction score
I just repowered my 1992 204c with the new Yamaha F175. Only 100lbs heavier than the 175 two stroke that was on it, net about 70 once you remove the oil reservoir. Basically the same motor as the 200. Scuppers are fine and the boat is quick, 46mph at 5600 rpms. Great gas mileage. Will save some money if you stay with Yamaha as you can use your gauges and control.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I've got a 1995 hull with a 1995 Yamaha SWS 175hp on it that weighs in at 419 lbs. We routinely have 250 lbs of water in a 32 gallon bait tank mounted on deck just in front of the splashwell and 600 lbs of humans fishing off the back of the boat. We never get water on the deck through the scuppers. Even when loaded up with the extra weight, we pop up on plane without and problems speed loss at cruise is negligible. We're always in the ocean, so it's very rare to be able to cruise faster than 24 knots (28 mph) due to conditions.

All that to say, the Yamaha F200 inline 4's weigh in at 70 lbs heavier than the 175 SWS when dry. There's a good chance that's the motor we'll repower with when it's time. I'm not concerned with the added weight based on what we've been doing with the boat for a long time now.

A friend of mine just repowered his 20 ft Proline with a Suzuki 150hp 4-stroke at 485lbs. He had an Optimax 150 at 433 lbs. No issues at all for him. He loves the Suzuki, especially after dealing with years and years of annoying little problems with the Optimax.

billyttpd

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Adventure with the 200 hp Optimax and canvas bimini. No issues with the scuppers the boat sits fine and performs very well. 43 knots WOT. and good on fuel as well. Like was said above I bought my Grady for stability and seakeeping and it does that superbly. I fish Delaware Bay and ocean its a great boat. I bought the boat with a blown 200 EFI and since neither me or my fishing buddies are under 200 lbs went with the 200. Most days its just me or one other person. I could have done just fine with a 175 Opti and saved a G.

Jack23

Reaction score
i also had a 93 208 (first year for the CV2?). It had been repowered with a 200 Etec - the smaller block version, a 2.6 Liter, vs. the big block version, which would be too heavy. no issues with scuppers. It was the perfect, perfect match for the hull. more torque and power across all the rpm bands than you will need. Well balanced, smooth and very efficient. I've run yamaha and suzuki 4 strokes, the etec and old mercury motors. That Etec was right up there with the best.

Good luck.

Biscayne208

Reaction score
I had your same boat and situation... Repowered with Yamaha f200 Inline 4. Best decision ever. I now have a 300 Marlin but my 208 is still making the new owner very happy. This motor IMHO is a prefect combo for this boat.