208 Adventure on order - Electronic's question

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After a two year hiatus after selling my 282 Sailfish because we wanted to downsize I just put a deposit on a 2013 208 Adventure to be built and hopefully delivered by July 4th. Any recomendations on elctronics taht will fit. Will Garmin 740S fit in elctronics box? Has anyone closed off the box to permit flush mounting electronics?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can do it one of two ways.

You can remove the plexiglass door and have a piece of starboard cut to fit...which is what I did for my 225.... Looks like this:

IMG-20120409-00012 by parthery, on Flickr

I had my panel made at Fin-Addict Marine...I sent them the measurements and the templates for the electronics by email. They cut everything and sent the finished panel by UPS to my door.

The other option is to do what fellow member "Strikezone" did when he recently redid his dash. He installed the panel from behind, and was able to leave the plexiglass door for protection. You can do this if the back of the box flips down to give you access. I don't recall if the 208 has the flip down box, a la the 226/228.

MA208

Reaction score
Good choice! What did you go with for power? I have a Humminbird 998c si and a VHF in the box. I like the side imaging and with a Navionics chip the charts are pretty good as well but not as pretty as the Garmin. The 998 is an 8" so the 7" Garmin should fit fine. I will probably end up mounting a 700 series Garmin inside the electronics box on the hard top as well for a dedicated plotter.

seasick

Reaction score
MA208 said:
Good choice! What did you go with for power? I have a Humminbird 998c si and a VHF in the box. I like the side imaging and with a Navionics chip the charts are pretty good as well but not as pretty as the Garmin. The 998 is an 8" so the 7" Garmin should fit fine. I will probably end up mounting a 700 series Garmin inside the electronics box on the hard top as well for a dedicated plotter.

I have two 5 inch displays in the box, both on bracket mounts. My radio is mounted under the dash and has a remote speaker since it is a bit hard to listen to the speaker when mounted low. I remove my plotter and sonar between outings. I prefer not to close in the box, it is handy for storage of keys and cell phone while underway.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the details and suggestions so far. I went with F150. I felt it was efficient, and enough for our planned usage and loads. I considered and may have gone with Yam 200 if they had newer lighter verison, but that is only avaialbe in Yam 250 version right now which was a huge price increase. My concern was additional weight of engine. I had a 2006 282 Sailfish with twin Yam 250 and my scuppers were at water level and tips of engings hung in the water. I figured the lighter F150 would be less likely to have that issues. I know GW added weight to 208 to compensate for Yam 200 weight, but I figured F150 was fine for my plans - Sandy Hook & Raritan bay fluking and stripped bass fishing, and 1-3 miles offshore max. I heavily considered new GW 209 verison which is a great looking boat, but wanted back cockpit space and storage the 208 offers. Biggest trade off is no flush mounting electronics on 208.

RBallou

Reaction score
I have a 208 and an aversion to drilling holes in a nice boat especially when electronic technology changes so rapidly, which requires when nmew units are purchased. I mounted the VHF under the dash and behind the ignition switch location. The Lowrance 5" display sonar/chartplotter is mounted on a Seasucker (big 4" suction cup) on the glass of the dash compartment. The transducer is mounted on two suction cups and pressed onto the transom. The transducer wire directed inside the boat along the rod holders to the dash location. No mounting holes are required and the Lowrance can be easily taken off for security.

The picture shows the mounting of the VHF antenna. To do it again, I would mount is farther back. (I hope the picture comes through.)

todd0915

Reaction score
Just learning about my 208.its a 97 but re powered with a f200.runs like a cadillac but you are right i have to weight the bow .how much less does the 150 weigh?sweet boat I love mine because I trailer it everywere.Todd

seasick

Reaction score
todd0915 said:
Just learning about my 208.its a 97 but re powered with a f200.runs like a cadillac but you are right i have to weight the bow .how much less does the 150 weigh?sweet boat I love mine because I trailer it everywere.Todd
I don't think there is a huge difference between the 150 and the 200 but there is a significant difference from the 150 2 stroke. A bit more that 100 pounds if I remember correctly.
You can try adding a sandbag to the forward cabin locker and see how that works out.Add more or less sand as needed. Since the locker is far forward, you won't need to add as much weight as the motor difference. You will have to play a bit.
The added weight will affect fuel economy a bit.
Also test the ballast with your typical fuel load. If you normally run with half a tank, use that amout when adjusting the ballast. The sand approach reminds me of a funny story. Many years ago I had a van that was absolutely awful in the snow. I put several bags of construction sand in the van and that helped a lot. In the spring, I was driving and had to make a quick stop. All of a sudden I felt something weird and looked down to see my feet buried in sand! The bags had frozen over the winter and apparently ripped. As they thawed out they became a big pile of sand. I was still removing sand from the crevices, years later:)

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yam F150 is 491 lbs and the Yam F200 is 609 lbs. 118lbs lighter. As Seasisk mentioned 2 stroke F200 might be even heavier. I also asked GW directly and they said over the past year 66% of all new 208 were ordered with F150. Not sure haw many 208 were ordered, but figured the F150 is fine for this boat and with my intended us I am pretty sure now it will be fine. Also was told of a water taxi that used a pair of Yam F150 and they had over 6,000 hrs and were going strong with just basic oil changes.