208 Adventure thru Stainless thru hulls

crazy charlie

Reaction score
Mine are fully functional however they dont seem to have held up well as far as the chrome/stainless finish.Unless the prevoius owner did something to screw up the finish on them.Anyone replace theirs??? Looks nearly impossible to get to from inside..?? Hope Im wrong.Anyone??

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
SS does not have a "finish". However, you may have chromed bronze. Functionally, these are actually better than SS. The downside, is that to make bronze look 'pretty' for people, it needs the chrome. Chrome is not very durable and it starts to pit. You can try buffing them and it may help, but short of removing and having them re-chromed there is no real solution. Replacing with SS will make maintenance easier. Getting to them... well... that can be difficult on boats... many things are.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I squint really really hard and they look all shiney again.. lol

SERIOUSLY...wife and kids out of town till Tuesday.. teleworking today.. THIS is what you get from me in times like this.

But.. I have a couple ribeyes marinating.. so.. you will get a reprieve later heh

R

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Mine are fully functional however they dont seem to have held up well as far as the chrome/stainless finish.Unless the prevoius owner did something to screw up the finish on them.Anyone replace theirs??? Looks nearly impossible to get to from inside..?? Hope Im wrong.Anyone??

I just replaced all of the original equipment plastic thru-hulls on my 208 with stainless.

All were accessible through the various deck plates. I used an appropriate socket and long extension to tighten clamps, worked great. If yours are solid I wouldn't mess with them. Mine were so brittle I was able to snap them off from the outside with a screwdriver.

crazy charlie

Reaction score
Thanks Paul,yes mine are solid and sound .Glad to hear they are accessable.Mine is a 2000 and the standard must be as Dennis stated bronze with chrome plating and it appears the chrome is gone and I just updated the boat to look like later model (newer)so the new thru hulls will be a nice finishing touch.Charlie

Attachments

• grady front.jpg
    grady front.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 9