208 Battery question

SandyBottom

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a 1995 adventurer 208. It has 2 batteries. I was told using only 1 battery instead of alternating between the two will ruin the 1st battery. Is this correct? The 2nd battery is dead, do I have to replace it? Can I leave it in place or should I remove it entirely?
thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Technically, you don't need a second battery but doing so puts you at risk of getting stranded. For example, you anchor or beach the boat, hang out with the stereo blasting and don't realize that you ran the battery down and can't start the motor. If you have the second battery, you flip the switch, go home and say " Gee, I'm glad I had that second battery".
Only using one battery will not ruin it. The second battery if not used will eventually loose charge.
There are a lot of posts on battery configurations and use.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hi!
I have a 1995 adventurer 208. It has 2 batteries. I was told using only 1 battery instead of alternating between the two will ruin the 1st battery. Is this correct? The 2nd battery is dead, do I have to replace it? Can I leave it in place or should I remove it entirely?
thanks
Assuming you have a single engine it is best to have two separate batteries - one for the engine and one for the "house" for all your accessories. It's important that they are separate batteries (not paralleled) and can be switched. I don't know how GW configured that model. You should have a way to charge both battery banks while running and on the dock with a battery charger. If the batteries are near 5 years old you should be thinking about replacing. The second battery with appropriate switches is part of your safety equipment. Don't eliminate it to save $150.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I would keep the second battery and run a start/house configuration as mentioned above. Having two batteries can help the balance assuming you have one battery on each side. Look at a Blue Seas ACR/switch combo or a Yandina Combiner to keep the second/house battery charged.

The ACR is readily available but requires additional cables/fuses. The Yandina comes prewired and is easier to install.

You could use the ACR or Yandina to charge both batteries at home if you only have a single output charger but it’s worth investing in one of the newer style charger/maintainers like Pro Mariner or NOCO. Get one with two leads and rated for use on the boat and you should only have to worry about replacing batteries every 5 years or so.

seasick

Reaction score
The 208 has a rather simple battery/switch layout and some of the suggestions listed may be overkill. There isn't a lot of potential house load for the base model 208,other than GPS, VHF and maybe a stereo. The 208 is also only a single motor hull.
You can run everything on one battery and keep the second as backup. The idea of a charger at the dock sounds like a good idea but in the 15 years I have had my 208, I have never charged at the dock. For winter storage I make sure that both batteries are fully charged before disconnecting the grounds for the winter. I get about 7 seasons out of my batteries but granted don't run a lot of load.
I do tend to alternate which battery I use each trip and that does a few things: If a battery is getting weak, I will know before it's too late. Both batteries also get charged alternately.. For the most part, I never go out on the BOTH setting but if the return trip is 20 minutes or more, I often select BOTH on that return trip to give a charge to both batteries. ( Remember not to turn the battery selector past OFF while the motor is running. Passing the BOTH position is OK
For optimum longevity, especially if you like to run on BOTH, your batteries should be the same size, brand, type and age. Bottom line, they generally both should be replaced at the same time.

SandyBottom

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I have a new battery in the #1 spot and the one in the 2nd spot is about 3 years old. The 2nd battery was the primary last season. I charged it at the dock yesterday and it’s holding a charge fine so far. I retired the battery that was in the 2nd spot last season since I neglected to use it. Thanks again.

seasick

Reaction score
I've also heard this but what's the problem turning it past off and what happens if you do?
On some model motors, turning past OFF while running will damage the rectifier. Some say that won't happen. I don't want to find out that those folks are wrong:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Alternate between the two (maybe every week or so) is best in my book. This way you know both have power to start if required.

J-cubed

Reaction score
I use a deep cycle and a cranking battery connected to a Guest switch. I try to go out and come in on different batteries or switch on different days. I generally try to run my electronics off my deep cycle while trolling. Avoid running on both if possible. You want to have two good batteries at all times. As for off-season I always use battery tenders. They will pay for themselves in short order. Also, a portable battery jump box might come in handy.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
On some model motors, turning past OFF while running will damage the rectifier. Some say that won't happen. I don't want to find out that those folks are wrong:)
This is absolutely true for inboard/stern drives with an alternator. I haven't found a conclusive answer for outboards - although I "think" it is safe to do so... but "think" is not conclusive... so for now, like Seasick, I don't want to be the guinea pig!

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
As you can see from the replies above there are many options for battery configuration that will work. The key is to set things up for your given use/situation.

My battery setup is considered overkill for a lot of other 208 owners but I have both a 1kW and 600 watt transducer running constantly and we’re on the water an average of 12 hours; we tried a single battery setup but changed after a few trips. Another benefit for this setup is that the house battery can also serve as an emergency backup for my electric reels this allows us to retrieve our gear on the last drop if we fish all day and the other batteries we bring get drained.

If your use consists of cruising around near shore with minimal risk then I agree with others that a single battery for starting/house with the second as backup is fine.

Giving us a general description of your intended use for the boat will allow for more dialed in replies.