208 Bilge Pump

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am thinking of putting a higher flow bilge pump on a 208 Adventure.
Current one is 1,100 gph. I am thinking 3,000 gph? What brand? Type?

seasick

Reaction score
The bilge on a 208 is very dry. The only time mine gets water (aft) is when I flush it out with a hose. Some water will accumulate mid ship but you can't see or easily get to. You may see it run aft when hauling the boat at a ramp or when storing on a trailer or rack as long as the bow is higher than the stern by about a foot.
That said, if you have a leak and a big leak, 1100 vs 300 gph isn't going to make a big difference. On a more practical side, a 3000 gph pump will most likely have larger diameter fittings ports and will require a larger diameter through hull fitting and hoses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Byram

seasick

Reaction score
Along the same line; Instead of a bigger pump. if you want extra security install a second similarly sized pump with the float a bit higher. To make this second pump really redundant, wire it with separate feed from your other battery. It will need the installation of a second through hull for discharge. Although things including wiring and pumps, cabin etc would get wet if the bilge fills, I assume you know that the boat will not sink.

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
What is the largest size bilge pump that will fit in a 97 Adventure?

I am not so concerned with any small leaks, rain water etc. and probably will never need it but if I take a big wave over the bow or? I want to have the peace of mind to know I can get the water as quick as possible.

I guess it is like a life jacket; if I ever need it I will find comfort in know I have a real good one :)

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you take a wave over the bow, you should be more concerned with scuppers than the bilge pump. How will that wave percolate to to the bilge, faster than a 1100GPH will get rid of it?
Do you have an open transom, or a bracket? If open, you put the wave gate down, and accelerate.

Last edited:

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hey that is a very good point! Thanks I had not thought it all the way through!

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Fellow 208 owner here and can confirm the bilge is usually pretty dry. Make sure your anchor locker door stays shut and the inspection ports in the splashwell are in good shape and you shouldn’t see too much water intrusion.

I also keep the plug in and fill the bilge with fresh water and the end of the day to confirm the auto feature works and the flush out the system with fresh instead of salt water. Pull the plug only after the auto start kicks in and the pump is run manually via the helm switch.

Reactions: PointedRose

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I really like the idea of flushing and checking the bilge pump system!

Thank you!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I am thinking of putting a higher flow bilge pump on a 208 Adventure.
Current one is 1,100 gph. I am thinking 3,000 gph? What brand? Type?
As your primary pump 3,000 would kinda be overkill, too much. 1,100 is a pretty good pump for a 20’ boat. I understand having the 3,000 as a back up though.
Mount that 3,000 with a float switch set a little higher than the main pump. That way should something bad happen it might just make the difference in getting you back to the ramp.
The 1,100 should be able to handle any water in the bilge from normal causes. Mine did the job with a 500gph pump and I just upgraded it to 750gph.

Reactions: hanke777

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As others have said, sure you could put one in but, you'd need to drill a bigger hole in the side of your boat. My rear is 2000 gph and it shoots water 8' sideways when on.