208 bow pulpit

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Would like to purchase bow pulpit for 1998 208 adventurer. Grady dealer gets over $1500.00 any suggestions to save some money.
Thanks

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
bow pulpit

cash and carry, i would install it

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A buddy of mine installed the kit on same boat. Includes all hardware and railing mods as I recall.

You can get catalog pulpits made of glass and teak, and custom made of starboard, wil not be OEM style, and will add more labor to custom fit it. Then you will need to have the railing bent and pieced out.

Nothing is cheap anymore.

Rarely do I recommend Grady for parts, this is one of them.

Fishnjoe

Reaction score
I added a pulpit to my 2002 Adventure. Did the same thing you did, shopped for a better deal. Couldn't find what Grady offered ie quality, custom fit and great look.

Kit includes everything you need, all the bolts, washers, nut, silicone sealant, thread lock, cleats, chocks, anchor roller, bow rail extention and instructions. Plus Grady customer service is only a phone call away if you have any questions :)

Bite the bullet and go for the Grady, you'll be glad you did!

Joe

gw204

Reaction score
If it were me, I would find another 208 w/ pulpit and ask the owner if I could take measurements. If so, using those measurements, I would make a plug. Then make a mold from the plug and use the mold to lay up the pulpit.

There's NO WAY I would pay $1500 for a bow pulpit uninstalled.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gw204 said:
If it were me, I would find another 208 w/ pulpit and ask the owner if I could take measurements. If so, using those measurements, I would make a plug. Then make a mold from the plug and use the mold to lay up the pulpit.

There's NO WAY I would pay $1500 for a bow pulpit uninstalled.

How much time would it take and what could you make in that time? I work on a production basis so the more work I do the more I get paid. If I can make more in the time it would take me to make it, then I'd buy it.

Fishnjoe

Reaction score
Greg B. -
Just a suggestion, shop around with other Grady dealers in your area. Just for a reference purpose in 2006 I paid $1194.00 ( inc. tax ) for my pulpit.

One other thing, I installed a windlass at the same time and I didn't use the Grady anchor roller. I installed a Lewmar anchor roller to accomodate the delta anchor I use. Using the Lewmar anchor roller just about insures that the anchor will deploy on its own every time.

Also for what its worth I agree with your reasoning:

If I can make more in the time it would take me to make it, then I'd buy it.

Brian - I'm not saying that Greg B can not do what you suggest, however I've seen pictures of the work you've done on your boats and must admit that not everyone is capable of accomplishing what you have done so well.

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
bow pulpit

First want to thank everyone for there input. I'm not talented enough to make one and I seem to agree although its pricey there is nothing like original equipment.
I also want to add this is the first forum I have been involved with and I am impressed with the response and the info.
Thanks again

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The best part of the kit is probably the railings. After redoing my pulpit I can tell you it's not worth the $1000 they charge you. If you or a friend is handy, some 8/4 teak will do a good job and hold up better.