208 cabin leak

Salty208

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’m a new owner of 1998 208 w/a 2018 Yamaha 200. Looking to put her in the water tomorrow but I noticed a wet spot in the cabin after some rain last night. Found the leak to be coming in from a rusted screw where I believe a hardtop used to be. I’m sure I will need to take apart to understand the extent of the issue but just curious if this is common?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I’m a new owner of 1998 208 w/a 2018 Yamaha 200. Looking to put her in the water tomorrow but I noticed a wet spot in the cabin after some rain last night. Found the leak to be coming in from a rusted screw where I believe a hardtop used to be. I’m sure I will need to take apart to understand the extent of the issue but just curious if this is common?
If by "common", you mean for problems to arise from improper care or maintenance... then, well, sure! I'm not sure how to else to answer that :)

wrxhoon

Reaction score
A 22 yo boat that someone took the hardtop off? Rusted screw? I think you answered your own question. Take the rusted screw off and replaced it with a new marine grade 316 S/S use some caulk and she will not leak from there again .