208 - fuel ground wire

boslaw

Reaction score
There's a "fuel ground" wire in the battery compartment. Can someone please tell me what I'm supposed to hook that up to? I took the batteries out last winter and I guess I forgot to write down where that was connected.

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
boslaw said:
There's a "fuel ground" wire in the battery compartment. Can someone please tell me what I'm supposed to hook that up to? I took the batteries out last winter and I guess I forgot to write down where that was connected.

Thanks
I am not sure what you are talking about but on my 208 and probably yours, the eyelet size on the cables is different for pos and negative. The ground cables can be connected to either battery as long as the tie cable connect the two grounds together. There are two cables on my port side battery negative terminal and THREE on the starboard side negative terminal. On of those cables is the tie cable between the two batteries.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The fuel tank has it's own ground, doubt it's connected directly to batt, but you can get the elec drawings off theh Grady website for you model and year, to findout.

boslaw

Reaction score
Thanks. I checked the Grady site first but the manual doesn't even mention the fuel tank ground. I guess I'll connect to the negative battery terminal and hope for the best.

catch22

Reaction score
Ground is ground... negative on a battery or engine ground.

Tank needs to be grounded for 1 - static control and 2 - fuel level gauge, (won't work without it).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You have to look at the owners manual that has the diagrams of all the wirng in the boat, color codes and all.

It will show exacaly what is going to the tank.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The fuel fill at the gas cap needs to be grounded to prevent any static build up/discharge.

catch22

Reaction score
cdwood said:
The fuel fill at the gas cap needs to be grounded to prevent any static build up/discharge.

Yes... that too. Fill cap to tank, tank to ground.

G8RDave

Reaction score
My fuel tank grounds are attached to the negative post of one of my batteries.

seasick

Reaction score
boslaw said:

Thanks
if the end of the wire has a eyelet that has a big enough hole to fit the battery bolt, that's probably where it should be attached