208 owners - do you use Sea Sucker Mounts?

2ndChance

Reaction score
I'm going to start using my iPad on my 208. I'll be mounting it to the left of the steering wheel, behind the grab bar that's above the cuddy door. That surface is slightly tacky - think the sea sucker will hold there? Follow-up question is if you do use the iPad on the boat, what waterproof case and mounting system do you use?

Thanks very much.

Joe

altouchet

Reaction score
I've never had a seasucker mount for an ipod, but I did have one that was a double drink holder. It lasted a couple years, then became unreliable. At first it held very well, but later I couldn't trust it to hold without falling down. This was on smooth fiberglass. Not sure if it would work well on an uneven surface.

Rosstafari

Reaction score
A lot of my friends use the sea sucker product and love them. One buddy uses it for his I pad mounted next to his over head electronics box. He has had great luck with it. I personally used the sea sucker mount for the go pro this winter while fishing/cruising in the keys in a 36' invincible center console. The boat cruises in the mid 50 mph range and tops out at 70mph. we used it all week mounted under the t top exposed to the open elements and never had an issue. As far as the I Pad case.. i'm not quite sure what he was using. GOOD LUCK

greenhabah

Reaction score
I've used a sea sucker on smooth fiberglass and it works great. I don't believe it will hold on the textured areas.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Be safe. Look into ram-mounts (hard attachment, not suction cup). I've used them on a garmin 2010c and a ray c80. very durable. Good luck, ron

2ndChance

Reaction score
yeah, I did a little research and call sea sucker. I'm not convinced that I should trust my $800.00 ipad to one of these mounts. With the pounding and vibrations, I just don't see it as being 100% reliable. I decided on a ram bar mount - that grab bar is right there, so why not? I went with the Nuud life proof case also. Now, the only decision left is should I load up navionics or inavx on the pad? My understanding is that the navionics for ipad has no course up option, which i want. FYI, this set-up is to supplement an older lowrance chartplotter that I still use on the boat.

Joe

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
FYI SeaSucker will definitely not stick to Starboard. Learned it the hard way, then confirmed with Sea Sucker at the next boat show. I like the product but think they should mention this to any prospective buyer.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I made a rod holder with 2 sea suckers, they lasted 1 yr and the suction cups have flattened out so much they barley hold now. Sea sucker wont replace them. I wont buy again.

jaydub

Reaction score
I have the Navionics app on my I Pad and think it's great. You can plot courses on it too. Let us know what you think of the Nuup case; still looking for a good one but most seem to have drawbacks.