208 Stereo install, I have couple of Qs

jmarin2377

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone in the forum with a 208 Adventure has either install or had a dealer install a stereo on that model boat. I'd like to get an idea of the location of both the speakers - 6.7" - as well as the unit. Thanks a bunch! JC :D

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 228 and did my stereo last year. I installed a Clarion deck, 6.5" JBL Marine speakers aft (see photo) and 2 3" mini box speakers on the dash tucked down by the wind shield. Awesome all around sound
morringcover.jpg

[/img]
stereo2.bmp.jpg

speaker.bmp.jpg
[/img]

jmarin2377

Reaction score
plymouthgrady said:
I have a 228 and did my stereo last year. I installed a Clarion deck, 6.5" JBL Marine speakers aft (see photo) and 2 3" mini box speakers on the dash tucked down by the wind shield. Awesome all around sound
morringcover.jpg

[/img]
stereo2.bmp.jpg

speaker.bmp.jpg
[/img]

NICE! But did you only install one 6.5 speaker? Or did you do two, but the sun reflection won't let the other be visible?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sorry! Yes, they are matching speakers, just washed out by the sun.
I am VERY happy with the JBL's. I had aft box speakers tucked under the gunwale but like this sound/set-up better.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Just be careful when mounting speakers in the helm area.
The magnets in the speakers WILL *uck up your compass if too close!

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
A couple things I forgot to mention, the Clarion does accept a dash mounted remote (this year $$), and for an antenna, all you need is the $10 cheap-o from BW or West. You can see in the photo the black cable that leads to the antenna which just lays in the cuddy. I do not recommend the VHF/AM-FM splitter. I also fabed a stereo box out of Starboard...I have alot of time on my hands! And most importantly, HEAT SHRINK EVERYTHING!

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Heat shrink butt connects, ring/spade terminals, tubing, where ever there is a crimp. Ancor 16/14 gauge (blue package) and a lighter. Where the wiring harness comes off the back of the deck, all those wires need to be wired to it's corrosponding speaker and to a power source. (it's really easy). If you don't, the crimp will vibrate and eventually rot off. PITA!
My philosophy is do it once, do it right. It may cost a little more time and money now but you're not replacing it in 2 years.

jmarin2377

Reaction score
plymouthgrady said:
Heat shrink butt connects, ring/spade terminals, tubing, where ever there is a crimp. Ancor 16/14 gauge (blue package) and a lighter. Where the wiring harness comes off the back of the deck, all those wires need to be wired to it's corrosponding speaker and to a power source. (it's really easy). If you don't, the crimp will vibrate and eventually rot off. PITA!
My philosophy is do it once, do it right. It may cost a little more time and money now but you're not replacing it in 2 years.

Got it! Thanks for all of the info, pics and tips. JC