208 trailer

Cewlcid

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
New to the Forum. Recently purchased 2006 208 Adventure.Looking for good used aluminum trailer,tandem axle with brakes.Owners manual states weight dry 2650 lbs. Everywhere i read 2900 dry . which is correct. I have 150 hp. Yamaha on it . Anyone know total weight? Should I go with 5200 lb.or 4400 lb. capacity trailer as some dealers suggested. Thank You.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't have a 208 but do have a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer and it seems like just about any boat out there that it's always going to weigh more than you think, or what the advertised dry weight of the vessel is advertised as. Per the Grady White website, it says that the weight without the engines is 2,900 lbs, or at least for a brand new one, and a Yamaha 150 hp outboard is 478 lbs dry, again at least for a brand new one. Even if you look up your exact year of boat though, being a 2006, it still shows on the brochure that the dry weight is 2,900 lbs as well. Which will put you at almost 3,500 lbs for just the boat and motor and before anything else like people, fishing/safety gear, ice, food, beverages and any other accessories you might have. Also, per the Grady White website, they have "performance data" on fuel economy of your boat with the Yamaha 150 hp outboard, and their weight as tested for that test boat was 4211 lbs. Now I don't know about you, but if that's the weight that they tested their test boat at and it's only 200 lbs shy of the max trailer capacity, then I'd definitely want the larger trailer. Because they're probably trying to get the best fuel economy numbers they can get and will likely not have a full fuel tank or other things that will just add more weight to the boat. That, and I wouldn't want to be less than 200 lbs away from your max trailer capacity and have to worry about there being an issue. What's the difference in price between the two trailers? I'd think spending the extra money, which I'm sure isn't going to be a ton more, and have the added peace of mind would be worth the extra cost.

Reactions: Byram

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Remember fuel is 8lbs to the gallon , 60 gallons = 480lbs.
then there’s gear and I doubt the factor in the batteries .
Go with the bigger trailer. An extra foot or two on its length will only help you on the ramp as well.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
A 21' boat on a tandem axel trailer should be an easy one. A lot has to do with towing distances. Short hauls you can get away with C-rated tires. Long haul consider radials and E-rated tires. If you are shopping used either trailer could work but bigger is better.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

knightgang

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry, but water is 8 lbs per gallon, Unleaded Fuel is 6.3 lbs per gallon. May not make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but just to clarify why water is always at the bottom of the fuel tank, it is heavier than the fuel.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Cewlcid

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for input . Will go with bigger capacity trailer.

Cewlcid

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Which company should I use for boat Insurance.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GIECO is good. I have State Farm for all my other insurances so they matched GIECO quote.

seasick

Reaction score
The later model 208s weight about 200 pounds more than earlier model due to ballast added to compensate for the extra weight of the 4 stroke motor.
As to gross weight, bigger is better to a point but too big can be a problem mainly because higher capacity trailers are typically longer. You need to make sure that not only is the load rating correct but also that the transom to bow eye length is correct for your hull. Usually a trailer in that range will have about a 2 foot adjustment range. If your boat doesn't fall into that range, you may have problems getting the tongue weight correct.
Right now at least in my area and surrounding areas, both new and used trailers are hard to come by and are commanding top dollar.
You also need to determine if you want or need a roller trailer or a bunk. Look for disk brakes, stainless if you can. For that hull brakes on one axle will be fine. Aluminum frame is also a plus especially if you boat in salt or brackish water.
Note that if the tires on a used trailer are more than 4 or 5 years old, they should be replaced regardless of the tread wear. The date of manufacture is on the sidewall.
Trailers in the length you need weight about 1000 pounds give or take. If looking at used, look for the GVWR value. That is the max load the trailer is rated for. If you see the figure for GVW, that is the max load carried plus the weight of the trailer.

Last edited:

steveditt

Reaction score
Check your car insurance / home owners I have Travelers got the best deal with towing .

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Geico partners with BoatUS/towBoatUS so it’s kind of three for one that you get the boat insurance, trailer insurance and water tow coverage if they have a station near you. My policy was less than about $500 annually

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Cewicid I am running a 5000 lb. aluminium I beam bunk trailer under my 2006 208. F 200xb and T8 kicker. It certainly is not overkill when fully loaded with fuel gear etc. Replaced springs and shackles after 12 years of salt dipping, and ongoing disk brake fix and or replace. now good for another dozen.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Geico partners with BoatUS/towBoatUS so it’s kind of three for one that you get the boat insurance, trailer insurance and water tow coverage if they have a station near you. My policy was less than about $500 annually
Wow my boat insurance is over double that amount up here in Canada on a declared/surveyed value of just over $50,000 Canadian on my 228 Seafarer. I guess I need to shop around to see if I can get a better rate somewhere else.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Wow my boat insurance is over double that amount up here in Canada on a declared/surveyed value of just over $50,000 Canadian on my 228 Seafarer. I guess I need to shop around to see if I can get a better rate somewhere else.
Well it’s likely primarily due to my stated value of the boat versus yours. My boat is a 1984, so you have a lot more coverage for your boat value. There was a recent thread on insurance pricing on this forum

I think this was the thread

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 208 sat on a 5000 capacity tandem. It was the perfect trailer in terms of handling the weight.

Boat insurance is through Boat/US. I've had them for 30 years...never an issue.