208 vs 228

tf78933

Reaction score
I have been looking at these two models and I am having a hard time deciding. I know a sea trial is going to be the only way to really know but I would appreciate owners input. If I use the boat in the St. Johns River, intercoastal and just off shore, would the 208 suffice? My concern is that I'll be bouncing around quite a bit. Also, will the 208 accomodate 3 fisherman without difficulty. How much of a difference is there in ride and comfort for three between the 208 and 228. My budget is about $25,000, so I know I can get a newer 208, but I'd hate to turn around and sell it after one season to go larger. Any thoughts?

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As a very happy 208 owner, I can tell you that I go 10 miles off shore on a regular basis. It is a very stable boat in the chop. It is comfortable with three, a little tight for four. with a F-200 Yammie, it is very economical. I would admit that I like the amenities of a 228 but I am very satisfied with my boat. I have all the options including hard top, bow pulpit, etc. Look for one with a hard top. You won't be sorry.
002.jpg

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
TF: I had a 1995 208 for ten years. It will certainly handle the uses you describe. Just don't plan to run on a fast plane with closely spaced 3 footers or bigger.

We test drove a 228 in 2005. Two feet longer is worth something and the 228 rode incrementally better, but, in my experience, not a whole lot better.

Probably should compare the 208 to the 226 since they both have the notched transom. If you really like the closed transom and center-line livewell on the 228, then your decision is easier.

I'd suggest going with the boat that gives you the best buy on the features that are important to you but hard to add on, i.e., hard-top, curtains, plumbed livewell, freshwater shower, etc.

Rob

Butcherboy

Reaction score

Hi, after 2 twenty's, a twentytwo and now a 258 I'm always reminded how much difference only 2 feet make. Determine which one you really want (4stroke/hardtop) then go find one in this buyers market........

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ii once roamed tbe mighty st. Johns in a 192 and it handled the big chop of Lake Monroe, lake george quite well. With that said, the shake down cruise of my 228 last year we navigated from Mayport to Sanford. The 228 rode significanntly better than the 192. I like my 228, but a small part of me wished I had considered the Journey. I guess what I am sayiing is if you think you want bigger, sea trial it before you buy.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As someone who has owned a 208, a 226, and a 228, I can tell you that no matter which one you go for, you will always get 2-ft itis.

I loved my 208...easy to trailer, one person could launch and load, and was great inshore and 10 miles or so out. Downside was the cabin was not much more than a glorified storage closet. I'm 6'3" and I wouldn't have been able to comfortably sleep in there.

My 226 and 228 were great boats, and the cabins were usable. They also required more effort to trailer...were more of a nuisance to cover/uncover, wash at the end of the day etc... They were great cruising boats though, and I frequently am reminded of how much difference 2' can make. Don't get me wrong----I love my 180. It's easy to tow, takes less than 10 min to wash and cover at the end of the day, and uses very little fuel. I ran 70 miles by the GPS last weekend and today, and it took 22 gallons to fill the tank. That's well over 3 mpg for a carb'ed 2 stroke 12 year old motor. My point is, everything is a compromise.

If I was thinking 208, I'd jump quickly on that 01 with the 200 HPDI for $18.5K that was on the board. It's a great deal, if its still available.

F18amec

Reaction score
TF,
I own a 08 208 and I love it! I fish and boat on the Ches. Bay, Atlantic and down in around the Albermarle Sound. She is solid and handles like a dream. The admiral and I even took her on a day cruise up the Dismal Swamp Canal, which is windy, narrow and can get shallow. I have had 3 grown men and my 15 year old son fishing on her and we had more than enough room. Once she is up on plane she is solid and easy to control. I've been out in 4 to 5 foot rollers on the Atlantic and felt safe and secure. Launching, loading and towing is a breeze. I agree the the cabin is a nice size storage area, but with little ones it is a good place for them to sleep and get out of the weather.
I considered a 226/228 when I was shopping around but decided it was little more that I needed for what i was going to be using here for. If your gonna be doing any type of river or inshore fishing I'd go with the 208, with them motor trimmed up you can motor thru water as shallow as 2.5 ft under the stern! Hope this helps.

Rick
Huki Lau2

jellyfish

Reaction score
I had a 23ft and a 24ft and 26ft and now have the 208 with a F200 4 Stroke and a kicker and I love my set up. I can trailer the boat very easy and get her on and off the trailer at most ramps by myself. Its the best boat I ever had as far as getting her on the trailer and off. The boat is fast and gets great fuel MPG as well. I can park her in front of my house easy, with lots of room. I have fished 3 and 4 people easy on the boat, trolling and or drifting. I don't have a Hard Top and the boat is very very dry for a 20ft boat. Handles well in a wind chop. For my needs she fits the bill well. I would love to have the 226 or 228, but when I take everything in to consider, the 208 was a much much better buy. You can get a nice one with 4 stroke power for under 25k with trailer. The 2001 with the trailer and HPDI is a steal of a deal. I wanted 4 stroke so I had to look a lot.

striped bass

Reaction score
You are moving up from a Beaver Tail skiff so you might expect to move up again if you bought the 208. Save yourself the trouble and get the 228.

tf78933

Reaction score
striped bass said:
You are moving up from a Beaver Tail skiff so you might expect to move up again if you bought the 208. Save yourself the trouble and get the 228.

Nah, I'll be holding on to the Beavertail. I appreciate all the comments. Since there may be times when I may want to take the boat out by myself, it sounds as though the 208 is the way to go.

If I rarely go offshore, rarely fish more that three, and sometimes by myself, I may have answered my question. I just need to find one close by to stand in.

jellyfish

Reaction score
tf78933 said:
striped bass said:

Nah, I'll be holding on to the Beavertail. I appreciate all the comments. Since there may be times when I may want to take the boat out by myself, it sounds as though the 208 is the way to go.

If I rarely go offshore, rarely fish more that three, and sometimes by myself, I may have answered my question. I just need to find one close by to stand in.
Based on all this I would say go with the 208 with Four stroke power and a trailer. You will be very happy. Its an very easy boat to tow and launch my yourself and fish.

jellyfish

Reaction score
tf78933 said:
striped bass said:

Based on all this I would say go with the 208 with Four stroke power and a trailer. You will be very happy. Its an very easy boat to tow and launch my yourself and fish.

seabum

Reaction score
I had the 208 for 9 years and loved it . This year I bought a 228 and it is bettre then then what i was hoping for ,ride, size, fuel useage. I run offshore alot and inshore it works great. Well worth the money. Life is short, enjoy!!!!

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Satisfied 208 owner here. I fished this past winter sailfish season in some conditions that my old 21 contender would not have survived in. With a hardtop and 3 sided enclosure the protection from the elements is excellent for 3 anglers.

Some people think the cabin is a waste but i have camped with the girlfriend, kept the dogs cool and secluded, stored (and locked) all my rods and gear for week long trips to the keys, bahamas loads, and stored complete scuba gear & tanks for 3 divers out of the way for a fishing and diving trip. You just cannot do anything listed above in anything but a walkaround.......especially when you talk anything short of 25'

The boat will handle anything, just keep the stern in the water (slow down).

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Walkers Edge, you run your 208 to the Bahamas? I really want to run over there in my 228, but would like to go with a group.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Yes, and definitely with a group.
Heading over again on the 26th to West End from Palm Beach ~68 miles.
If we dont get a good weather window i'll either be on a friends bigger boat or in the keys.
Got any immediate plans to make the trip?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
No immediate plans. I am in the Keys now. Likely need to wait until next year. If we do this trip or wish to plan or piggy back on somebody elses plan, I will post here.