208 with Yam150 4s_ real world comparisons?

MooseheadDoc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’m heading out this weekend to sea trial a 2007 Adventure 208 with a Yamaha 150 4s with 138hrs. I know I like the hull- I’m currently in an older 208 and it perfectly meets my needs. I think more power would be better, but as the saying goes “perfect can be the enemy of good”.
I don’t need speed.
The boat will see exclusively large lake use, 50% one or two guys fishing, 40% one couple and a dog cruising, 10% entertaining guests with up to 6 aboard.
I’m looking forward to seeing how it performs.
Any real-world experience from members with similar set-ups is greatly appreciated!

seasick

Reaction score
Which 200? 6 cyl or inline 4?
The 6 cyl 150 may be underpowered for that hull , If it has a hard top, it will definitely be underpowered.
If you sea trial, have a passenger load similar to how you would use the boat. If it's normally you and a few buddies, try to simulate that load. The 208 has a 82 g gas tank, the difference in weight between a half tank and a full tank is about 240 pounds equal to one adult and a child, or maybe 3 children. Check the gas gauge. If it reads two bars at rest without no extra aft load, it may be have about 30 gallons of gas. It's not an exact science:)
At some pint in it's history, the weight of the hull went up by about 200 pounds, probably as ballast was added forward to counteract the extra transom weight of the 4 stroke engine. I am not sure what year the change took place but if the 2007 doesn't have the extra weight, the rear scuppers will sit lower in the water, perhaps a bit submerged and passengers will get wet feet. With three folks aft, you will definitely get wet feet. Defintely take a look over the transom to see where the outer scuppers are positioned.
My 208 with the 2 stroke 150 ( a lighter motor) does have to work a lot harder to get on plane with 1/2 tank of gas with me and two not so skinny buddies.

Reactions: MooseheadDoc

JeffPicc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 2005 GW 208 and it was powered with F150 for past 15 years. It had a catastrophic failure last summer and now it is powered by the Yamaha F200. The F150 is great with one aboard, fine with 2 aboard, OK with 3 aboard, marginal with 4 aboard, and a dog that struggles to plane with 5+ aboard. That's the best way I can describe it. I re-powered with F200 and that is just a perfect match for that boat. My F150 failed at 1500 hours due to severe exhaust corrosion that penetrated the head and was too costly to rebuild. Look, I was fine with F150 for 15 years, but I knew its limitations. The F150 is adequate power since it really produces about 168 HP, but 4 or more people and you WILL know it.

Last edited:

JeffPicc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Neither the F150 nor the F200 have any issues with scupper below water line.

seasick

Reaction score
Neither the F150 nor the F200 have any issues with scupper below water line.
On older hulls, the extra weight will raise the water line. The older hulls were rigged with 2 strokes.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
2006 was when the hull weight increased. The 150 shouldn't be a problem as my 2005 didn't have waterline/scupper issues with a 2013 250 hanging off the stern. I ended up putting 200 lbs of sand in the portapotty area to help with the upsea ride and to balance out the 5 ft fiberglass fishbox and 200+ lbs of ice we keep on the deck (we usually fish with 2-3 people total).

I know two guys with similar setups; an Overnighter 20 with a 2007 Yamaha 150 and a 1995 208 with a 2015 Suzuki 150. They both fish the ocean with 2-3 people, similar ice loads to me, and their setups work well. Obviously everyone wants the 200 inline 4 for the 208 but it doesn't sound like you'll be really pushing the boat/motor given the application. You can look at a 4-blade prop for more low/mid-range.