209 Escape Questions

cgenner1

Reaction score
Due to the rising fuel cost I have just downsized from a 1997 24'Whaler with twin 200's and purchased a 2003 209 escape with a 2003 200 Yami hpdi. I would like to hear everyones opinion on the 209 such as seakeeping ability,performance,range with the 200 hpdi etc. Most of my boating will be out of Barnegat Light NJ..........Thank's in advance,Curt

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you will be quite pleased. My father in law has a 1993 209 with a carbed 200 Yamaha and it moves out. Fuel economy is pretty good as well. I have not been in the boat in the ocean but I have run the boat in Barnegat Bay many times. The boat will handle anything the bay can throw at it, including short chop, large wakes, etc. Boat is very versatile, including kids we have had as many as eight people on the boat for a ride across the bay to Island Beach on a so so day. Boat handled the load nicely and we all were able to keep dry with no pounding.

Congratulations on the new boat.

cgenner1

Reaction score
Tuna Man thank's for the reply! I see you're in Waretown so I'm sure you know how much fun Barnegat Inlet is at low tide and east wind.I am planning on running to the Ridge,Ole's lump,Tolten etc. I hope this puppy will take it.....lol......Curt

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine, just pick your days. My father in law is a little too cautious if you ask me, on picture perfect days I have run the inlet in a 16' Wahoo (Whaler knock off). I have a lrger boat but if I didn't I would have no problem running a 209 to Barnegat Ridge, Tolten Lump or even the Mud Hole on good weather days.

cgenner1

Reaction score
I agree Scott allthough I have been caught several times with my pants down believing the forcast...lol...2-4's turned to 6-8's with a 10' thrown in every once in a while for good measure! It makes for a long wet ride home.I was curious as to how the 209 would take those kind of conditions?........Curt

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I hope you had the HPDI serviced.

Oil systems are elaborate and critcial in 2 strokes, you may want to pull the oil tank, turn it over and dump it out, inspect interior bottom. Clean out any residue, repace the filter just outside the tank. Inspect oil ine.

There is a condensate drip leg tube on the oil tank under the cowl, cut the nylon tie and pull it off to inspect for water, wipe it out clean before putting it back.

If you have a remote oil fill, replace the O ring under the cap.

The VST filters, low pressure fuel pump, and water pump are other servicable items. Use Yamalube oil.

Now - the 200 HPDI is the greatest engine yamaha ever built, or will ever build in the future, IMHO.

Have fun!

cgenner1

Reaction score
Bobp, Thanks for the info I plan to fully service the engine tomorrow.When you say now the are the best engine did you mean that the earlier models have problems??.......Curt

scottg

Reaction score
I have a 2005 209 with a 2005 200 HPDI out of Fire Island Inlet. Great boat / engine combo. It's a heavy, solid 20' boat that handles the sea very well for its size. FI Inlet can get nasty with the right combination of current and wind. This boat can hold her own. With a T-top and deluxe leaning bar, the layout is perfect for fishing / diving.

Here's a link to the Yamaha performance for that engine / boat combo:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...in_otb_2StrokePerf_HPDI_200hp_01105-GRW-Z.pdf

I added the Yamaha fuel management guage. I run 4000 RPM and burn 8.5-9.0 GPH lightly loaded. That jumps to 10 GPH heavy (three full adults, full fuel, dive gear, weights, four tanks, fishing equipment). Typical cruise speed is 27-28 kts. I'm slower than the Yamaha report, but I also have a t-top and radome that adds some resistance. With an 82 gal tank, the 40 nm wrecks are not a problem. Anything further, and I don't want to be there in a 20' CC with a single engine.

You mentioned 6-8 seas with an occasional 10 thrown in. I really would not want to be there in a 209. I'm not saying it will not get you home, but this is still a 20' boat. 6'-8' in a 282 Sailfish is painfull enough coming back from the canyons.

I agree with the post that says to keep on top of the maintenance for the HPDI. Follow Yamaha's schedule and you will not have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Scott

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
cg, I see I didn't answer you.

The 150/175/200 HPDI.

Past, present, and future, Yamaha's best engine of all time - from day one right out of the gate in the late 90's.

The 200 HPDI is lower priced, so much lighter, and can out torque any 4 stroke, and even be more fuel efficient that a comparable 4 stroke of any brand.