209 Escape Repower question

fishermanaddict

I am in the market for a new motor or left over. I am looking for a 200hp Hpdi . The boat currenly rig with 1999 150hp Yamaha SW II. with 704 control and 2 digital gauges , oil tank. Is anyone know could I still use my gauges and control for the HPDI motor? The steering is cable, not hydraulic. Do I have to replace with hydraulic steering?

fishhrd

I repowered a couple years ago and I believe you can use the same controls but I would replace steering if I could afford it. I replaced controls because I went with a Honda but I thought about the 200 hpdi because it would have been much cheaper.

fishermanaddict

I was looking for 200hpdi, To replace my Yamaha 150hp 2stroke, But today I found the local dealer has a 07 175hp Suzuki four stroke with 150hr on the dealer owner's boat for demo. He is a Suzuki outboard dealer. He said if I buy it before March 31 , the warranty is 6yrs. and come with stainless prop, Digital gauges for 10k. What do you think about the price and performent?. Is anyone has 175hp on your 209 Escape? How is the performent ? Is it under power? Reliable on the motor?

fishhrd

I would say it is underpowered if you want to run more then 40 mph or you run in rough water and need extra hp to motor through waves. I would not want any less than a 200 hp four stroke. A 200 hpdi would give you the same speed as a 225 four stroke and still this will not be any speed demon. My 225 four stroke tops out at 44mph light and I cruise at 33 mph.

fishermanaddict

What year is your 209? I call Grady White Manf. They said 1999 209 Escape when install Yamaha F200 or F225 the cowl will hit the rub rail , when the motor turn between the cut out transom. Is it happen to you?

blackdiamond296

I've got an F200 on a '93 Escape and there's no steering clearance problems while the boat is in use. The only time there is an issue is if the motor is tilted up and turned over hard to port and you go to put the motor down into the water. If you don't straighten out the motor before it has to clear the cut out in the transom the bottom edge of the cowling will scuff- just cosmetic. It doesn't hit either side turning lock-to-lock in use.

I'd also say that hydraulic steering is a necessity with an F200- we bought the boat with the F200 and cable steering- definitely a lot of work in close quarters maneuvering, we upgraded it the first summer we owned the boat.

fishermanaddict

Is your rubrail turn inside the tramsom or stop before? How is your performent with F200 . Speed at WOT? How high it seat above the scupper?

fishhrd

I've got a 97 209 and the 225 honda cowling will hit the rubrail when tilted up. It has left a cosmetic scar from when trailering and the motor turned to one side. When the motor is down there is no problem though. I lay the motor a little to one side when up and use ratched straps on the wheel to combat the problem and all has been well so far.

blackdiamond296

fishermanaddict said:
Is your rubrail turn inside the tramsom or stop before? How is your performent with F200 . Speed at WOT? How high it seat above the scupper?

I believe the rubrail stops at the transom cutout but it does so with an angled cut and that's what the cowling hits on. With the F200 the boat will cruise in the mid to upper 20's (knots) and wot speed is in the upper 30's (knots). I think the boat and motor are a great match, when you advance the throttle at the right pace the hole shot is just fine and it handles a chop well.