209 Escape Steering

ljcrain

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been a member here for several years researching boats. I've owned several other boats over the years but I just bought a
2002, 209 Escape with a Yamaha 200 HPDI.
My first question involves the steering. My steering wheel is very wobbly on the shaft and also I have to constantly correct the heading at slow speeds.
At cruise speed it seems to steer normally but the steering wheel is still wobbly.
I'm trying to decide whether to replace the Teleflex NFB helm or just start from scratch and install hydraulic steering.
One consideration is that I would like to install an autopilot and hydraulic seems to be the best system for that.
Has anyone switched to hydraulic steering on a 209 Escape?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Define "wobbly". Wobbly to me, means it shakes in all directions, including forward and backwards. If you mean it is "loose" in that turning the wheel left or right doesn't always immediately initiate the engine turning, then that is somewhat normal. There is often some "slop" in the steering systems. Don't expect it be like a car.

The "wandering" that your boat does at slow speed is also normal with most v-hull boats. Some do it more than others, but it is normal. Now, if the engine is actually moving side to side during this, then that is not normal. But if the engine is staying put (have you looked at it?), it's very normal. You'll get used to it.

ljcrain

Reaction score
The wheel itself is very "loose". It moves on it's plane in all directions. the circular motion works ok. I've read that there's a bushing in it that wears out after time from the
helmsman using the wheel for support and the only solution is to replace the helm. I'm ok with that, it's 16 years old and has a lot of corrosion.
There doesn't seem to be too much play between the movement of the wheel and the movement of the engine.
If the wandering at slow speeds is natural that's all the more reason to want an autopilot.
I started taking the helm out today. Now I need to decide if I replace just the helm, the entire NFB system, or go with hydraulic.