209 fisherman

Robert keating

Reaction score
i am looking at a 1996 209 fisherman.supposedly on a trailer in N, Carolina for 22 years south florida the rest of the time. it is soft on the floor from one side to another between the leaning post and the console.The fuel tank seems to be original , I find the hard to believe, from what I can see there its pitting and light corrosion but not too deep.the engine is toast so not a problem i will re power if I purchase. It has all plastic thru holes which bothers me. there are no spider cracks anywhere and the transom seems strong ( I shook the motor and tapped with hammer) the hull is almost flawless except for15 coats of bottom paint.asking $12000 any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you guys in advance Robbie

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Seems a bit spendy to me honestly, since there is no useable engine and work to be done on the hull for the rot. Is there a trailer? You could find another brand boat for probably the same price or less with a running engine and a trailer similar year hull.

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
In my opinion thats a covid inflated price. If the motor was running fine I would say 9-11k without seeing the soft floor. Dont forget its 26 years old. Be patient and as PRose said maybe another manufacturer

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Robert keating

Reaction score
Thqnks for your input.You are both right, atone half the price it might be viable but it could turn into a time and money pit.Im still looking greatly appreciate your help setting me straight

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I bought an ‘87 20’ Overnighter in 2013 (26 years old) with a running ‘03 225 and a trailer.
Paid $6,800.
The hatch over the tank was soft and the tank had leaks. I had A new tank made, replaced all the fuel lines and recored the hatch myself. That added about $1,100 to my purchase.
You know it didn’t bother me much to do that because I knew about it when I bought it, had fun working on it and was proud of the work I did when done. :)
I got a good season out of it and then the engine quit. To say I was not happy would be a gross understatement.
I got lucky at the end of the next season found and bought an identical engine with less hours for $2,200. Back on the water but now I’m up to 10,000.
Ok that was 8-9 years ago.
You’ve got a 26 year old 20’er with a soft floor, a tank needing replacing and no motor for $12,000 ?
I’ve cussed my boat and luck when the motor quit but suddenly I’m not feeling too bad about it now.
About 2 years back the trailer needed replacing so I got a new one with all the bells and whistles. That set me back another $4,400 after I sold the old trailer for $500. (Surprised I got that). Add a new Simrad sonar/gps $900.
So now it’s $15,400 and the boat is where I’m very happy with it.
Your willing to go $12,000 for this one that is obviously a project.
I get the feeling if you discovered it had a bad transom that’d kill the deal for you. I could be wrong but he seems to be asking a lot for the conditions it has and no working engine. There’s risk there. If it was half that price I’d say it might be worth the risk of a possible $2,500-$3,000 transom repair. There’s going to be another $1,000 for the tank. How much for the floor ?
You may want to get a surveyor for it to reduce your gamble as best you can.
Another thing, are you looking at a new outboard for it ? $20,000 ?
Your looking at a project boat between $30,000-$40,000.
I don’t think my boat owner experience is an isolated one with a lot of members here giving me an amen to that. I share it so you can ask yourself if that’s what you want to do.
My honest opinion unless you love boat building I think you’d be better off looking for a good used Grady in the $20,000-$30,000 range you won’t have to do anything with other that fuel it up and enjoy. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sdfish and Byram

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thqnks for your input.You are both right, atone half the price it might be viable but it could turn into a time and money pit.Im still looking greatly appreciate your help setting me straight
You might be guilty of something that has got us all at one time or another... letting your heart override your head ;)

billyttpd

Reaction score
I 100% agree with Byram. That price seems way inflated for what you described you will be getting. You are basically buying a hull. plastic thru hulls can be replaced and the hatch can be repaired. I would expect brass thru hulls and that hatch repaired and I still wouldn't pay the asking price. But that's just me. The tank could be fine but it is 26 years old. Is there a T-top? and what about the trailer? is it road worthy or is it a yard trailer?