209 Trim Tabs

fishhrd

Reaction score
I rececently repowed at 209 with a honda 225. I fish the Chesapeake Bay regularly with 4 adults, full of fuel, and plenty of ice. The boat has T-top and curtains if that makes a difference. I contacted grady and they told me 12x9 tabs would be enough.

Bennett told me to go as large as I could fit. Any advice as to what size?
Thanks,
Matt

catch22

Reaction score
12 x 9's are fine. I've had that size on a 23 Gulfstream, a 24 Offshore, and a 20 Overnighter.

fishhrd

Reaction score
Thanks, if they will work on the gulfstream they should work fine for me.

catch22

Reaction score
Imo, Bennettes trim tab chart is way overboard. I also think, if you were go with too large of a tab, it could be dangerous in certain circumstances.

Average Joe

Reaction score
I have a 208 and I added tabs about a year after buying the boat. I just took it to Norfolk Marine and they installed the OEm Bennett's for ~$800 out the door. To me money well spent. Some projects I'll do and others I let the pro's do. For me, tabs fell ino the latter category.

Just my $.02

fishhrd

Reaction score
Average Joe, why didn't your boat come from the factory with them? And did it make much of a difference?

I am leaning towards the 10x12 bennett M120 sport tabs. Just got off the phone with bennett and they think they will be better.
Any opinions?
Thanks,

fishgo208

Reaction score
I will have 10X12s on my 208 this year. Catch22 mentioned to large could be dangerous in certian situations. Can they give you a problem in a following sea?? Could anyone say what to be careful of? Average Joe, how did you like your new ones last year?

catch22

Reaction score
fishgo208 said:
I will have 10X12s on my 208 this year. Catch22 mentioned to large could be dangerous in certian situations. Can they give you a problem in a following sea?? Could anyone say what to be careful of? Average Joe, how did you like your new ones last year?

Yea, a following sea is one example. You really shouldn't be using the tabs at all in following seas, but it kind of depends on the boat itself, and how bad the seas are. In swells, or even when your overtaking another boat, and cut throught it's wake at a fine angle.... too much tab and the boat will over-plow when you accelerate down the back side, causing radical steering.
The main use of tabs, besides helping to get on plane is, lowering the bow, so it cuts smoothly through rough head seas, and reduces pounding.
The more you use them, the more you'll become familiar and comfortable with them. You will definitely be glad you got them. Once you've had a boat with tabs, you'll never want a boat without them. Imo, they should be standard on every boat.

The 10 x 12 M120's should be ok, but I certainly wouldn't go any bigger, on a 20 footer. Like I said, the standard 9 x 12's work just fine on the 20 footers and even up to a 24 footer. I installed a pair on a friends 22 Seafarer last year, and he's completely satisfied.

One advantage to installing the Sport tabs is, the tubing gets connected directly to the actuator, from outside the boat. Then you simply attach the actuator to the transom. With the standard tabs, you have to use a long nipple, (4 or 5 inch's) which will pass through the transom. Then you attach an elbow and the tubing from inside the boat. Doing that inside a confined space is usually a big pain in the arse. The only draw back to the sport tab set up is, if that tubing connection is poor, or develops a leak later on, it's burried inside the transom, and covered with sealent, lol. With the standard set up, the fitting is exposed, and may only need a tweak.

Average Joe

Reaction score
Tabs aren't standard equipment on GW until the 22' models. Mine simply wasn't equipped with them when I bought it but after learning a little more about tabs I decided to add them. They really help with the choppy conditions often encountered here on the Chesapeake Bay.