209 w F150 or F 250 T-Top or no T-Top

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Considering purchase of GW 20ft 209 CC after downsizing from 28ft GW Sailfish. Looking for pros and cons on going with a T-top or no T-top and advice of whether F150 is enough or F250 is better choice, big jump in price for both F250 and T-top. Boat primarily fishing Raritan Bay, sandy hook NJ within 3 miles of shore, fluke, stripers, may do some tubing, but not critical. Gererally 1- 3 persons on board. Does having a t-top interfear with fishing and does it provide any actual shade. Will I regret not getting t-top or more powerful engine?

billyttpd

Reaction score
Are you shopping new or preowned?? Either way I would suggest you split the difference in the motors and go with a 200 plenty of power for tubing and save a few bucks. As for a T-top take the money saved on the motor and get a nice aftermarket T-top as opposed to a factory option. You save some more coin and have enough top to keep the sun off your head. Atlantic towers is just one source for a great bolt on top. You can add outrigger pads rocket launchers spreader lights antenae mounts or whatever.
Im running a 200 on my 208..it has plenty of power. I never pulled a tuber with it but wouldnt hesitate to do so, Factory T-tops look nice but they come with a hefty price tag. Im sure you can find something aftermarket just as nice for less coin. My 208 with a 200 Opti will run 43 knots WOT thats fast enough for me. As for a holeshot??/ It will jump out of the water when I need it too. I know a 225 or 250 would do all that faster but like i said my 200 is more than adequate...If i wanted a speed boat I would have bought one. BTW my fuel burn is reasonable as well

seasick

Reaction score
F150 is definitely underpowered.