216 Fisherman Question

Firenailer

Reaction score
Hey All!
Haven't been on in awhile as I sold my (second) 208 a couple of years ago. I’ve moved up to CT and now reside a stones throw from the water. I’ve been to the shows the last couple of years at Mohegan and am thinking about a used 216 With a 250 Yami on it.

Is anyone here running one and how would you review it? Coming from 20+ years of Cuddy Cabins, I’m not sure I’m totally sold on the Center Console style, but I know they’re in fashion and everyone I talk to says they make amazing fishing platforms, which is my primary use.

I‘d appreciate any input you might have - and good to be catching up on the Grady boards again lol

Chillaxin

Reaction score
Hey All!
Haven't been on in awhile as I sold my (second) 208 a couple of years ago. I’ve moved up to CT and now reside a stones throw from the water. I’ve been to the shows the last couple of years at Mohegan and am thinking about a used 216 With a 250 Yami on it.

Is anyone here running one and how would you review it? Coming from 20+ years of Cuddy Cabins, I’m not sure I’m totally sold on the Center Console style, but I know they’re in fashion and everyone I talk to says they make amazing fishing platforms, which is my primary use.

I‘d appreciate any input you might have - and good to be catching up on the Grady boards again lol

Chillaxin

Reaction score
You can put gull wing side canvas stay dry and see great not feel boxed in like the 208 happy wife happy life

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
We are going into our second year with our 216 Fisherman, 2019 model with a 200 HP Yamaha. Caught plenty of fish last year, did some tubing with grand kids and a bunch of going out to dinner sunset cruises with friends. We fish in the Atlantic Ocean going out of Manasquan River to NJ beaches and artificial reefs as well as Barnegat Bay and rivers that feed into it. The boat handles well in the ocean, we don't go out when the swell is rapid and over 5 feet, up to that we know the boat handles very well. We've been out rougher than that and it is too much work to feel safe breaking into or out of the inlet in snotty water. It is do-able but you take a risk unless you are very experienced or nutz. We rarely go out on weekends in summer because there are too many people doing stupid stuff. Weekdays in summer anytime spring and fall works best for us.
When bottom fishing for fluke I can single hand or just go with one or two buddies and have plenty of fishing space. If it is an ocean troll two good buddies that can handle the lines are a must for me. I am thinking of putting in autopilot and a removable bladder fuel tank as an add on to help make it easier on occasional long trips this spring and summer. The 216 is just the right size for us.

Reactions: Whazzup

Firenailer

Reaction score
Hey Jersey,

Thanks for your reply! Sounds like I’m on the right path with the 216, I think it’ll be a good boat for me, and I think its the best choice for the type of fishing I do.

Reactions: JerseySure

NHAngler

Reaction score
IMO a CC is a true fishing platform. It can support many different styles of fishing and is easier to trailer and manage with just the captain or a small crew.

I have no experience with a 216 but have been on many GW CC and love them.

seasick

Reaction score
For me, the issues is storage and room The cabin on the 208 offers a lot of space for gear including rods up to about 6-6. . The cabin also works as a changing room if the 'boss' needs to change. Unless you go for a fairly big CC or DC, changing clothes is a bit of a challenge:)
For serious hard core fishing, the CC is ideal, just make sure you think about what your cuddy had to offer, what of those you want and most importantly what of those if any, you will sorely miss on a CC.

Whazzup

Reaction score
I've had mine one full season and it's my first boat. I'm still getting used to boating. Docking and close quarters maneuvers still create a fair amount of angst. It's a strong boat.

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
To be honest we've yet to use the head on the boat. So I can't answer that honestly. As to storage that could be an issue if you use the head to hold all your extra gear. As time went on I've learned to be neater and only bring what we might need for the type of fishing we thing we would get into for the day. All else stays in the deck box on the dock or the trunk of the car. I am thinking of adding two more thru gunnel mounts to bring it up to six possible locations. The rocket launcher and the Tee top racks are very adequate. The two forward insulated fish boxes are quite enough for me and the small one in front of the helm is good for soft drinks and sandwiches. I do carry a ditch bag and a small suitcase life raft on canyon trips but that's for rare occasion trips off shore. Everyday fluke, black fish, sea bass, striper, weakfish, blue fish and occasional tuna and dolphin fishing this little boat is plenty adequate for us.

Reactions: Firenailer

NHAngler

Reaction score
The subject has been covered quite a bit and there are pros and cons for each style of boat. Not a Grady but pilot house boats are also a neat style of for purpose fishing boat that offer something between a walk around and a center console. What makes us happy is all that matters. My boat name is the efishnsea if that helps share what makes me happy. I feel like the 60 gallon tank and my 115 can make the trip to Portugal if ever needed. Just enough space for 2 and sometimes 3 but plenty of room for one and my bear sized yellow lab. Trailering, launching/loading, docking, etc are all very easy. I carry just the tackle and gear for my trips and only safety gear is allowed to exist for dead weight.

Perhaps this will all change as I get older. However, having been on many other boats, my return to my boat keeps validating MY choice. I also know it so well, I feel connected to it.

I did get in some time on a GW 282 last year. Now, that is likely what I own when I’m in my 50’s and 60’s. For now the efishnsea will help put my kid through college with my wife and I living lean until he graduates. MIT ain’t cheap, especially for someone that does not know ain’t ain’t a word. ;) He gots his momma’s genes btw.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Tend to agree with above. All boats are a compromise. Really need to know your use cases, type of weather and conditions you are out in and what features/functionality you need.
After a few years, 2 footitis sets in and the game starts anew.

Reactions: Firenailer

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
How come every time I can go out fishing this year either the wind kicks up hard, it is pouring rain, or the seas are over 3 feet. This spring is running late for me. After Memorial Day weekend I only go out on weekdays until Labor Day. Then any good day until November. There's just so many days and so many fish to catch. Hope things improve soon. How are you guys doing?

Firenailer

Reaction score
Hey, I’m out east these days out about where the CT River meets the Sound, EVERY day seems like it’s 2-3 footers and about a foot apart lol!