218 Adventure vs. 232 Gulfstream

KnowWayPoint

Reaction score
Hi Folks - I cannot decide! I'm finally ready to buy a boat, but am torn between the new 218 Adventure & the tried & true (from what I read) 232 Gulfstream (yes I've sat in both). Please help me decide!

I typically go fishing on Chesapeake bay (near the bridge/Thomas point/Deale) with my 2 boys and father (he just retired & isn't moving as well anymore), but occasionally we'll take a few others along (so normally several kids and a handful of adults). We currently fish off 22 & 24 foot center consoles from Freedom Boat Club (wish the bait well consistently worked/hate the setup when it starts getting cold/hate their hours!). I also have a wife & 4 kids (all under 10) that love to go to the lake ... we currently frequent Lake Anna in VA; the wife doesn't like when it gets a little wavy and again we typically are renting pontoons or lake boats to do a little cruising and sand bar hanging. This means being able to tow the boat and carry the family and luggage or start frequenting the bay for vacation. Currently considering a Expedition Max for towing (~9200lbs) ... I think I can get the Gulfstream under that, but I know it'll be close.

I fish for mostly striped bass, but I'm recently getting back into fishing after a long break (grew up on the Susquehanna and bass fishing on a tiny 14' boat) and looking to expand my horizons. It's a straight shot to anywhere on the bay from Deale to Annapolis from where I live - it would be neat to try some ocean fishing eventually but that feels like a once-a-year thing given the distance. I usually get out maybe 20 times a year.

I really like what I read about digital engines and even more so the Helm Master EX w/ Joystick control ... I frequently am getting tangled up trying to maneuver the boat to hold a spot & try to catch my own fish! I know having twins on the Gulfstream would let me take full advantage of the HelmMaster, but I think I'll still decently enjoy the single engine applications.

Current thoughts on the two boats:
218 Adventure vs. 232 Gulfstream
1. Love that it's a new model vs. an older model (not much as changed in 10 years ... can they really make no improvements?)
2. Jump seats are actually really nice/comfortable & casting platforms are nice if I ever want to go into a river vs. the middle fold-up seat (eh)
3. ~160k vs. ~260k (select all the options)
4. Easy to tow vs. wide load & heavy/maybe can't tow w/ family & all our stuff
5. No windlass vs. windlass (probably can use the exercise but I get tired of raising/lowering that anchor...maybe less of an issue if I use HelmMaster instead)
6. Maybe outgrow it quickly w/ growing kids vs. nearly twice the cockpit size (30sq.ft. vs. 56sq.ft.)
7. Feels more like a cross with a Lake boat (wife likes) vs. blue water boat (maybe I want this? ... not really sure)
8. Cheaper cost of ownership (1 engine, smaller storage requirement) vs. twin engines/more cost in storage/maintenance
9. May have to pick my days on the bay vs. probably can always go out on the bay (hate getting sidelined for a "small craft advisory", when the waves up here are still only 2ft...I only have so much time to go fishing)
10. Less air circulation in the cockpit w/ the isinglass? vs. I like the window wings to get more airflow

I think the real kickers are cost to buy (I have looked at used, but slim pickings for twins/helmMaster & < 5 years old for Gulfstream & I don't care for the Seafarer or old Adventure) & will the Adventure be too small vs. Gulfstream being too big?

Let me know your thoughts! P.S. Really enjoying this forum and reading all the past threads on all the boats haha, decided to start my own!

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not alot of direct experience with either boat, but my first thoughts upon reading this are as follows:
- If I were spending $160k on a new 21' boat, I'd want to be 110% sure it was the winning boat for me for a decent amount of years. Seems to me that you could be risking nauseating depreciation if you wanted to sell out of it fairly quickly.
- If your primary use case is fishing 4 people and you want the option to bring more , a 21' boat is not big enough
- When considering these points together the Gulfstream model is the better tool for the job and it doesn't seem super close
- Digital engines and joystick control are more "nice to haves" than "need to haves"- you shouldn't really need these for striper fishing and likely won't once you have a bit more time behind the helm
- This should open the door to buying a lightly used 232 for less than the price of a new 218, which would be my suggestion

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
This won't be popular, but I'm not a fan of the 218. I have a 228 and I looked over the 218 and it is more expensive, looks less like a fishing platform, to me it looks like a downgrade from a 228.

That said, a 232 is a tank. Much beefier boat, gonna be better in chop than the 218 I suspect. Harder to tow, more expensive.

It seems to me that a late model 228 would fit you better. Enough boat that you can take it to the ocean (mine fishes only on the Pacific), and small enough you can tow with a half ton pickup (I tow mine with a Ram 1500 with the 3.0 ecodiesel, works fine). It took me a while to warm up to my 228, for a while there I was thinking about a Marlin 300, but the 228 just ticks more of my boxes. Fishing machine, warm and dry, I can tow it anywhere, don't need a slip, and I park it outside my living room window and when the rom-com my wife is making watch gets uninteresting, I look out the window at my boat and smile :)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What don't you like about the Seafarer? It's basically a smaller, narrower version of the 232 Gulfstream and without the step or imo the funky bunkbed style design of the cabin space. Both boats are going to have their tradeoffs as well as their pro's and con's list, of which I think the slightly wider beam at 8'6" for the 218 Adventure is nice. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the Euro style transom on it and it seems like because of that, there is a good deal of wasted space on the boat. The 218 Adventure or even the 228 Seafarer for that matter, are going to be considerably lighter than the 232 Gulfstream. The test weight of the 218 Adventure is right around 5,200 lbs whereas the test weight of the 232 Gulfstream is 7,200 lbs and that's without a trailer. So yes, you could pretty quickly get to your maximum tow rating with a fully loaded down 232 Gulfstream. The 232 Gulfstream is going to also have a wider beam at 9'3" and will make it more difficult to tow, I think some states even require a special "wide load" permit for towing because it is so wide. It's also going to cost more maintaining and up keeping two main motors as opposed to a single main motor and the upfront cost to purchase is obviously an extra $100k more. As mentioned before, I'm not a huge fan of the 232 Gulfstream's cabin space with the bunkbed style cabin that seems kind of like a waste of space imo.

I'm also not a fan of the step up from the cockpit up to the helm of the boat as I've got parents in their almost mid 70's now and a niece who is almost 8. I don't want anyone tripping or falling while out on the boat and like the level floor plan of my 228 Seafarer, as well as the 218 Adventure. I fish out here in the Seattle area in the Puget Sound where the waters are much more protected and I'm more of a fair weather fisherman in the first place. My 228 Seafarer is a fantastic boat and will take much more than I'd ever want to be out in, though I have been out in some pretty rough conditions. I've never felt uncomfortable or in any danger or anything like that, it just makes the fishing more difficult, especially if you're fishing by yourself. I think the biggest things to determine which boat you decide on going with will be your fishing/boating needs, going out on each boat in rough conditions to see which you like better and how gung-ho you are about fishing. If you're trying to go out fishing as many days as possible no matter the conditions then I think the heavier, wider 232 Gulfstream will be your better bet. If you want twin main motors as opposed to a single main motor, then obviously the 232 Gulfstream is going to be the better boat. But you're going to have a bunch of tradeoffs as mentioned above like towing, a larger tow vehicle, added fuel and maintenance costs as well as a much heftier cost upfront for buying the boat. As mentioned above, I personally wouldn't buy brand new because of the depreciation value on these boats and the dealer markups that they have. I bought my boat in October 2021 for $26.5k and when brand new, it was over a $100k boat back in 2004. I'd personally buy something that's used and in between the two boats. Have you seen the 2021 GW 228 Seafarer for Sale below? Might be something to consider since as Lucky mentioned above, it's going to give you some more fishing space and be a longer boat than the 218 Adventure.

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
That used 228 looks nice. Price seems right. I'd lose the bottom paint and redo the trailer (if possible) with bunks. Rollers are unsafe in my book. But definitely a workable boat and in a 130 hours there is really not much they could have screwed up. I'd be curious to know why they are selling it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The trailer admittedly wouldn't be my first choice. My first two boats had galvanized steel trailers with rollers on them and after having my 228 Seafarer with an aluminum trailer and bunks, I definitely wouldn't ever have to go back.

Last edited:

billyttpd

Reaction score
over a quarter mil for a 23 foot boat....wow I know the Gulfstream is a beast but

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Indeed... especially when you can get a nicely used one for less than $60k

reel cookin

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I currently own a 2004 Gulf Stream Grady repowered 3 years ago with a new 300 hp Yamaha and I still love that boat. It’s great for fishing and family. I fish the lower bay and always feel save. Before I owned the 208 and the 232 is just a much better riding boat. I also fish the salt islands in taking the in to 2 feet of water with no problem. I tow the boat with tundra and never experienced any issues. Go with the 232.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
over a quarter mil for a 23 foot boat....wow I know the Gulfstream is a beast but
I'm a 228 owner but there was a 232 for sale at my dealer and I do have to say, it is a beast. It seems like it is a foot longer but it is a way heavier boat and heavy is better in the slop. I absolutely adore my 228, it's the boat for me, but the 232 is a step up. Bigger is better.
If Grady still made a 27 foot sailfish on the same hull as the 271 canyon, I'd own that boat. Bigger is better.

That said, you can be happy with a smaller boat. I have enough money for a Marlin and I choose to stay with my 228. You have to do what works for you. A smaller boat worked for me, I'm very happy with it, fishing with my son in it tomorrow.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
232 all the way for your use. You will outgrow the 218 before you break it in. The 232 is a ”Big” 23’ boat. Wide beam (9’3) makes all the difference. Forget the helm master. It’s not needed and is tough on the engines. Most people I know who have it don’t use it. If you decide on a 232 get it with twins. The boat runs and rides totally different with twins and I would not own it with a single screw. With twin s on that boat you don’t need helm master or a thruster. Spend 1/3 that $ and get an electric trolling motor for spot lock if you want it. Get the right tow vehicle. I’ve had 14 Grady’s. The 232 is my all time favorite.

seasick

Reaction score
Talk about apples and oranges. Other than the Grady name and having a cabin, the 208/218 and the 232 are different animals and in different classes. Configure a 232 with twins and it is in a class by itself.
That said, the 232 is not really a great overnighter boat. In addition for me the lack of a transom door is an issue. To get to the swim platform, you have to climb/slide over a fairly wide area on the transom.
If the 232 had a transom door (there may be a upgraded model in the pipeline), I would consider it primarily due to its beam and weight but only with twins.

Reactions: Coastboater

HMBJack

Reaction score
Yes, Yes and Yes. Seasick (above) said it right.

And FWIW, I had a 228 for years and loved it. Until I bought a 265. Loved that one too.
Loved the 265 until I bought a 330. Best boat ever for me.

The common thread in my boat purchases: BEAM. Go wide and you'll always be smiling!

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
not much has changed in 10 years of the 232 because not much has needed to change

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I remember just before buying my 228 Seafarer to where I went to the local Grady White dealership here in Edmonds called Jacobsen's Marine, of which they had a used 232 Gulfstream that I climbed around on for a few minutes. As mentioned a couple of times, it wasn't the right boat for me for a handful of reasons... the higher price, the wider beam, the different level between the cockpit and the helm, as well as the bunkbed style of cabin. As soon as I set foot on it, I realized it was a much bigger boat than I needed for my intended fishing/boating usage. I know there are many who love it and obviously it must still sell quite well as it's one of the few walkaround boats that Grady still sells. Just a bit overkill for my particular fishing/boating application and a few design quirks that don't really do much for me at all. I think the 228 Seafarer is a great substitute for the 232 Gulfstream and for those that don't need a wider, heavier, bigger boat that potentially have twin motors on them, as well as those that pick and choose their days of fishing a bit more. All of it depends on your fishing and boating needs, budget and so forth.

Last edited:
Reactions: coldpizza

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Fishermanabb said it best. If you're willing to deal with the downsides of towing, permit requirements (it's over 8' 6") the 232 is hands-down your best choice.

You couldn't give me a joystick equipped boat. Revved up engines creating washing machine suds and conditions astern in harbors, lower units clunking, AND, as I mentioned in the joystick thread, I have personally been aboard a Verado-equipped joystick boat that would NOT get sideways to the dock due to the opposing wind bowing it off.
Twin engines, the knowledge to utilize them and a bowthruster gets you home every time, armed with a dose of seamanship.

Mustang and LuckyDude have a point as well; A Seafarer is the best 22 footer out there. The Gulfstream is the best 23 footer out there. They are different, but offer great packages depending on the prospective buyer's needs.

I have no experience with the 218 Adventure.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
232 all the way for your use. You will outgrow the 218 before you break it in. The 232 is a ”Big” 23’ boat. Wide beam (9’3) makes all the difference. Forget the helm master. It’s not needed and is tough on the engines. Most people I know who have it don’t use it. If you decide on a 232 get it with twins. The boat runs and rides totally different with twins and I would not own it with a single screw. With twin s on that boat you don’t need helm master or a thruster. Spend 1/3 that $ and get an electric trolling motor for spot lock if you want it. Get the right tow vehicle. I’ve had 14 Grady’s. The 232 is my all time favorite.
I don't think I'm the only one who wants to know what 14 Gradys you have had and what you run now. Talk about a learning experience.