22 seafarer back splash gaurd

Weso

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thinking of removing the splash guard before the tansom and motor. Open up the deck even more. It's a self bailing hull on the deck. Anyone do the same. I mostly spearfish.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The older Seafarers had a hinged splash well panel the dropped down to the cockpit floor. It worked very well in the up position and made getting in and out of the boat a lot easier for diving when in the down position.

What year Seafarer are you thinking about modifying?

Weso

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
1990 I'm gonna leave it on. Wife was not happy of idea of it being taken off

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was actually thinking of putting in a fixed clasp system of some kind on mine to fix it in place should a wave overtake the stern. The little rubber catches look like they'd be useless in this scenario. Never fully understood the logic in that design.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have one on my Offshore and I used to keep it down all the time. Then one day while fishing at anchor I took a really big wave over the stern from a passing ship. Watching all that water roll right over the stern....up the deck and fill the cabin in an instant cured me of that habit.
Just sayin.........

blynch....stainless hooks and eyes .

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was actually thinking of putting in a fixed clasp system of some kind on mine to fix it in place should a wave overtake the stern. The little rubber catches look like they'd be useless in this scenario. Never fully understood the logic in that design.
You will instantly understand the logic the first time you raise your motor with the gate locked in the up position. Cowlings are expen$ive.
Also, if you take on a stern wave underway, you can instantly goose the throttle, and send the water back out an open gate, whereas having to go back and open it, then return to the helm, may be a costly delay.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I for one can not understand the logic of a flip down door near floor level on any ocean boat, it’s just not safe. Just glass in a curved permanent wall connected to the transom where the cowling would never hit, lots of manufacturers do this. But maybe I‘m missing something with boat builders.

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You will instantly understand the logic the first time you raise your motor with the gate locked in the up position. Cowlings are expen$ive.
Also, if you take on a stern wave underway, you can instantly goose the throttle, and send the water back out an open gate, whereas having to go back and open it, then return to the helm, may be a costly delay.
Fair points. I certainly know how easy it is to raise the engine into a locked transom, I have a lot of experience on a 23 Regulator that's set up this way. Still strikes me as an odd tradeoff to prioritize the ability to freely raise the engine over protection from waves over the stern.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
With my Seafarer, or my previous Tournament, with the bow raised on the trailer, I could run a water hose on the cockpit floor faster than the 2 stern scuppers could clear it. I hate to think of the instability a wave sloshing around in there would create in a choppy ocean, with no quick way to clear it, especially if it got into the cabin, with its one floor drain that you can plug with a finger.
I prefer the closed transom, and a bracket, but with a notched transom I would want a permanent bulkhead, or an open gate.