22 to 228 ride dif.

seabum

Reaction score
How much differance is there in the ride between the 22 with the bracket on the back compared to mounting on the transom? How much better would the ride be then my 208?

Seahunter

Reaction score
I have a 226 and a good friend of mine has a 228. There are some give and takes on both boats but I’d say all and all ride quality comparable.

I went from a 208 to a 226. Ride quality and the ability to handle the rough are noticeably better with the 226

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
So Sea Hunter, what are the ride trade offs between the bracketed boats and non? I am curious.

I will say this, I really like the full stern set up on my 228 and we have the full width swim platform which is handy for playing in the water.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The bigger hull is a little heavier so it's going to ride the rough stuff a bit better. I doubt you'll find any difference in the two models. The bracket is nice with the bait well in the back - that would be my choice if I had the room for the extra length - like for moorage and storage.

However, if I was going to move up it would have to be a LOT bigger to justify the cost of selling and buying. We were looking at 265 Express' and Sailfishes. I would just skip the stairsteps. JMHO. As we've seen, prices are really attractive right now on the bigger boats. And there are virtually zero 208's on the market. Now would be a really good time to move up.

The other boat I fell in love with over the last two years is the Albemarle 28 with twin inboards. There are a few out here, did not sea trial, but looked close. For a DIY, I am really comfortable with the V8's. However, they were a LOT more money that the 272/282's we've been seeing of late. There would be no more trips to the river for us though and slip fees are horrendous out here :(

Seahunter

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
So Sea Hunter, what are the ride trade offs between the bracketed boats and non? I am curious.

I will say this, I really like the full stern set up on my 228 and we have the full width swim platform which is handy for playing in the water.
The brackets give it some quirky handling habits when backing down hard. Tilting the motor up helps a good bit but it takes some getting used to when your used to just dropping it into reverse and hitting the throttle.

ReelCozzi

Reaction score
Although I have no experience with the 226 vs 228 the 228 doesn't seem to handle much differently in terms of backing up from the the BW 190 Montauk I owned previously. Interestingly the predictabilitly docking the 228 in a variety of conditions has been quite a bit easier then the MTK 190.

I can't imagine doing without the closed transome of the 228 - it just makes the cockpit feel larger and the bait well is great storage if you are not using it.

We rented a slip the other evening and were charged for 26' so there is a cost to the bracket if you slip your boat.

striped bass

Reaction score
David Pascoe has written extensively on the open transom. Seas can more readily enter the cockpit with a notched transom. It presents a safety hazard if seas board from the rear. I made a mental note of his comment until yesterday when my neighbor's boat was swamped from the rear over his notched transom. Now I am a firm believer.

Our Tournament 225 has a Gil Bracket for our Yamaha 225 and we very much enjoy having the extra room and live well in the transom. Also the engine is that much further aft which helps put the noise out of the boat. We back up with no difficulty by raising the engine a few degrees. The full swim platform is a great convenience for a variety of uses which we will get with our next boat.

I agree with the other poster's comment about moving up. If you can swing it go up to a GW 25 or 27 footer. The difference is really beneficial and more noticeable if you can move up in five foot or more increments.

Good luck.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, altough I am not the original poster. I learned to trim to the motor up a tad to aid in backing down. Thanks :)

I will say going to 25 to 27 would be nice. I gotta say though, we went from a 192 to our 228 and it is a noticable difference in performance on the open ocean and in rough water and over all feel and ride , a mere 3 and half feet I do look forward to the day when we make our next step up....

NorCalGrady

Reaction score
The bracket is the reason we actually bought the boat. It gives you so much more room for a 22 footer. Although go charged for a full 28 feet in Tahoe 2 years ago, 2ft motor, 2ft grady drive bracket and bow pulpit. In comparison to the Striper, Trophy and Whaler the Grady was just right.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You know this is one thing I like about Grady. They measure their boats using the mold length. A 22 footer is a true 22 feet of hull. It stinks marinas and so forth charge for all the "candy". Yeah, if you measure from the pulpit to the back of the engine cowl we have over 26 feet, but it is a far cry from a real 26 foot boat... I do appreciate the room in the boat.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My wife and I were at the same decision point four years ago. We had our 208 for ten years and I was looking to move to the 228. On the day of the sea trial, the dealer (smartly) brought along a 258. Side-by-side-by-side, in about a 2' chop, the 228 rode incrementally better than our 208. The 258 rode significantly better. So much so that the admiral made the choice to spend the extra for the 258. Over 1,000 hours later, we're very happy with the 258 with no regrets. Still, I have always liked the layout of the 228. I like the livewel on cenerline and the 228 fish boxes are better laid out, in my opinion.

Good luck with you decision!

Rob

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Thanks for the insight, altough I am not the original poster. I learned to trim to the motor up a tad to aid in backing down. Thanks :)

I will say going to 25 to 27 would be nice. I gotta say though, we went from a 192 to our 228 and it is a noticable difference in performance on the open ocean and in rough water and over all feel and ride , a mere 3 and half feet I do look forward to the day when we make our next step up....
Bob, I have found on my Tournament 225 that it handles best when I tilt the motor up 3 bars on the trim gauge. I used to go through Dillsboro a lot on my way to Athens when my daughter went to UGA. Where do boat mostly? Is Fontana a pretty lake and how big is it?

NorCalGrady

Reaction score
This is about all she will hold, 6 large ones.

P1010550.jpg

NorCalGrady

Reaction score
We managed to put eight in there, the pic was of six or seven, we ended up with nine so #9 went in the livewell.

NorCalGrady

Reaction score
I just want one of those bluefin you guys get over there on the east side. Only one as big as me or 300lbs will do.

NDORADO

Reaction score
What is the furthest some of you guys with 226/228 (excluding aux gas tanks) have been offshore. A=What was your fuel burn? Looking to do a 50 mile run one way on monday. Have 20 extra gallons of fuel plus the 92.Thanks for all respnses.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I routinely have to go 50+ miles offshore to the fishing grounds in my 228. Typically it will be around a 140-150 mile trip and fuel usage 70-75 gallons. This includes about 6 hours of trolling. I run off the main tank and keep my auxiallary tank full (52 gallons). This is with a 225HP OX66 engine averaging about 2MPG.

You might want to take some closer in trips to get a feel for how much fuel you will use. Weather and sea conditions to make a difference and the figures I gave you are pretty much average for me.