222 fisherman issues

jbukie

Reaction score
It was a disappointing day for me today. I went to pick up my new to me(used) 2003 222 fisherman from a reputable dealer (not looking to bad mouth anybody, yet). Some problems with electronics not functioning correctly but that was the least of it.

My main issue is with the way the boat sat in the water. It has a yam 225 4 stroke (583 lbs). With 1-2 good size guys in the cockpit water was coming in through the scuppers and even filling the engine well. The engine well scuppers were below the waterline. It also had about 3/4 tank of gas.

Now i know that is a lot of weight but i can't think grady white designed boats that could not accommodate 2 adults in the cockpit without taking on water. The boat has not been repowered it is the original engine.

I'm looking for some suggestion on what could be the issues here. Am i looking at a boat with a problem? Could it be water logged? Saturated transom? Is it a poor design? Any possible solutions?

I love the boat, love the way she handles but this is bugging me. I plan on calling the factory but I'd like some input from other grady owners and 222 owners.

thanks

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
Get it checked out by the dealer. Shouldnt be taking on too much (if any) water with two passengers. I think I see a slight trickle in and out with a few passengers. My 222 handles and performs great compared to my last boat (Angler). I often have 6 or 7 people w/o performance issues. Didnt you test drive it?

GS

jbukie

Reaction score
i bought it over the winter, but the sale is subject to sea trial now so i can still get out of it. Greg, what model year do you have and what engine?

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
jbukie said:
i bought it over the winter, but the sale is subject to sea trial now so i can still get out of it. Greg, what model year do you have and what engine?

My boat is a 2006 but didnt start using it till this year due to the drought in the S. Freshwater so far 20 hrs. Yummie 225. In comparison to an Angler boat the GW feels like a Cadillac or Jaguar. I have the new SV2 hull.

GS

GWC3

Reaction score
I too have a ('04) 222 with F225 I picked up last spring and ran it all last season. I've had 6 people (adults) with 1/2 tank and it does not ride that low where it overwhelmes the stern scuppers (the 6 of us had to be close to 1200 lbs as several are large people). And I also frequently ride with 4 adults as well. my experience has been the same with 4 or 6: boat handles it well:
- still responsive hole shot (maybe a sec slower to plane with 6)
- cruise speed at 4000 rpm is typically 28 mph (maybe 27.5 with 5 -6 adults) - so but speed isnt much impacted (good sea conditions - I suspect rougher could impact it more) - but it eats up 2-3 foot great lakes chop easily at cruise speed)

love the boat - so I'd investigate further in your case

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did you check the water level in the bilge ?

Another member reported a similar problem with a newly delivered 22 footer, dealer took it back and relocated a fuel tank. Problem fixed.
Do a search on the site

It's impossible for a water saturated 5 yr old transom to do what you suggest.

Scuppers don't matter where they are, the height of the deck relative to the sea level is what matters. If the deck is higher, water dains. If it is lower, water comes in.

Don't buy any boat you are not happy with, Grady or other. You will regret it.

catch22

Reaction score
Something doesn't sound right. A close friend had a 222, and even with 4 or 5 people in it, never had a problem with sitting to low in the stern, and water coming in through the scuppers.
If there's little or no water in the bilge, I would talk with a dealer or surveyor about testing the hull for water absorption.
Do you have dual fuel tanks? Any chance the rear, (main) is 3/4 full, and the front, (aux) is empty? This still shouldn't cause a dramatic problem, but it would probably help to put some weight forward.

jbukie

Reaction score
i spoke with customer relations at grady white today and they told me that it's normal for grady whites 22 and under to take some water through the scuppers with 400 - 500 lbs in the cockpit. No modifications have been made in boats 22 and under for the weight of four strokes, i was told they did not have a problem with the weight.

Is it me or does it seem weird that two people in the cockpit will bring water in through the scuppers?

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
jbukie said:
i spoke with customer relations at grady white today and they told me that it's normal for grady whites 22 and under to take some water through the scuppers with 400 - 500 lbs in the cockpit. No modifications have been made in boats 22 and under for the weight of four strokes, i was told they did not have a problem with the weight.

Is it me or does it seem weird that two people in the cockpit will bring water in through the scuppers?

I believe mine does it slightly also but not near as bad as my last cc boat. If it bothers you I would find a different boat that makes you feel better. Try getting a seperate opinion from an independent boat mechanic.

GS

Gross Profit

Reaction score
I've got a 1999 w/ a 225 OX66 and the 4 cockpit scuppers sit BELOW the waterline. The motorwell scuppers touch the waterline. This when both tanks are full of fuel and no one in the boat. No water in the bilge. No waterlogged transom or hull. They just sit that low. Keep new scupper flaps in there and no water will enter. I personally don't like it but that's the way it's designed. I love the boat though.

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
I bought some plugs and stuck them in the hole from the inside of my last boat. It was 10 times worse than my Grady. Hope you get it worked out though.

GS

jbukie

Reaction score
I'm going to look at another boat as well, a 22 hydrasport vector with a 225 etec.

I love the way the grady rides, that sea v two hull is great. I also like the layout of the grady a bit better. I'm not a fan of the integrated bracket on the hydrasport.

I'll compare the two and make my decision, i still love the grady i just wanted to know if the scupper level was a problem with this boat specifically but if it's how they all are i feel better.

any opinions on the hydrapsort

Gross Profit

Reaction score
BobP said:
Gross, do you get any water coming in on the deck?

Bob, no I don't. I keep new scupper flaps in there and have virtually no water entering even with people standing in the back, but s I said, the bottom 4 scups are TOTALLY submerged with no one in the boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The scupper flaps are never going to hold back water - it only delays its entry and softens an abrupt hit like from a boat wake to the stern.

As long as the deck stays dry, that's what matters. I've been on boats with scuppers well above the water line, and the water coming in was like a full moon flood tide back when stepping back there.

Your deck is the right height relative to the water line, not the non-named boat I was on.

jaydub

Reaction score
Jbukie, I have a 222 and as others have said, they do sit low in the water. If 2 people stand in the stern corner, I will see some water coming in. As soon as I move to the other side or more forward, it drains. When I first saw it, it concerned me but once I realized how the scuppers were functioning, I quickly learned they were working like they should. I don't even notice it anymore. I fish a lot and wash down the deck with the raw water hose and it all drains right out the scuppers. One thing I always do is to force water through the scuppers periodically to keep them clear of debris, baitfish, whatever.

The 222 is a super boat. I have 275 hours on mine and have loved every minute.

jbukie

Reaction score
just to clarify, i'm not saying water just enters the scuppers. With 2 decent sized adults in the cockpit water will be on the deck.

good, bad, or doesn't matter?

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
Bad. Stay away from it and find one that was drilled the right way.
I would still recommend the 222 as it is the best riding 22 I have ever been on. The Grady/ Boston Whaler dealer that sold me my boat said that the Grady had a much better ride, fit and finish and resale than his Whaler I was looking at. Funny thing is, is that the Whaler would have cost me more and the salesman would have made more off of me with the BW. He was a straight shooter.

GS

jbukie

Reaction score
jaydub - You see water coming in through the deck drains or in the engine well? or both?