222 Livewell Question

melkat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On the factory installed livewell is there a seacock to allow the seawater to be turned off/on before switching the livewell pump on? Also do you put a black stopper plug in the the drain hole at the bottom during operation ? My pump volume exceeds the drain hole outflow and maintains a full livewell tank. I am familiar with other Grady livewells where I have had a drain hole /extension tube overflow pipe with a rubber fitting to screw in the drain hole. Also the drain hole is not in the center it is in a lower side so I know I am not missing the drain tube.

jaydub

Reaction score
There is a seacock valve handle at the base of the livewell pump that needs to be opened before you use the live well. It is accessed at the deck plate opening in front of the motor splash guard. The stopper should be put in the bottom drain when you operate the livewell so it fills and the overflow goes out the top drain. If you have a lot of bait in the livewell, you may need to clear the top overflow drain once in awhile because it can get clogged with dead bait and scales. If you see water flowing out from under the lid and onto the deck, check the top outflow it's probably clogged.

Bama96

Reaction score
I never plug mine but leave the pump running all the time. It also seems to fill when running. Maybe a high speed pickup of some sort. Turn off the pump and stop it will drain out. I always seem to get splash out of the top when running either way. It does a great job of keeping baits alive. I usually have several dozen Cigar Minnows and Pin Fish in there and lose very few.

melkat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Sure enough the seacock is right there. I think I will use the drain plug method . this will enable the pump to be shut off occassionally and not run all the time.