222 ride quality

davec56

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was looking to buy a 22ft center console. Can anyone tell me how the 222 boat rides in chop? I had a Sea Pro 19 that was a good boat but slammed alot. I'm looking for something with a good ride and I like Gradys.

Thanks,

Dave

striped bass

Reaction score
Dave:
I have a 225G, same hull as a 222. In a gnarly chop over 2 feet I have to slow down to about 15 - 18 mph to avoid knocking the Admiral around. Doesn't bother me but the crew can get bumped around. Also consider that you are up higher in a 222 with just a leaning post and a higher center of gravity which gives you less to hold on to as opposed to sitting down in a captain's chair in a DC.

no problem

Reaction score
It's all relative. The 222 will certainly be better than the 19 Sea Pro. The only way to tell if its what you want is a sea trial :lol: sounds like a case of the 2 foot-itus for sure. Happy shopping.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
no problem has the key.
Go out in the one you want to buy or another boat with the same hull and see if you like it.
That's what I did before I bought my Seafarer 22.
Waayy too much money to spend unless you know for a fact you'll be happy with the ride.

Bama96

Reaction score
The 222 will do fine in that chop. I had an 07' and it was a nice ride. Much heavier than that sea Pro. Will be night and day difference IMO.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's all subjective, do your own sea trial or spend some else's money buying it.

imcnee

Reaction score
I have a Tournament 225 and the ride is very soft and very stable

catch22

Reaction score
I have a friend who had a 21 Seapro... then he bought a 222. He couldn't believe the difference. I was on both boats many times and the 222 blew that Seapro away. I have nothing against them, but there is simply a world of difference between them.... quality, ride... everything.

Imo, for a 22 footer, the 222's ride, in a head sea, or all-around for that matter, is nothing short of amazing. Just make sure, (if the boat doesn't already have them) you have trim tabs... absolutely necessary.

Bama96

Reaction score
catch22 said:
I have a friend who had a 21 Seapro... then he bought a 222. He couldn't believe the difference. I was on both boats many times and the 222 blew that Seapro away. I have nothing against them, but there is simply a world of difference between them.... quality, ride... everything.

Imo, for a 22 footer, the 222's ride, in a head sea, or all-around for that matter, is nothing short of amazing. Just make sure, (if the boat doesn't already have them) you have trim tabs... absolutely necessary.

Yes trim tabs are a must. If it is a newer model they were standard I think.