225-250 e-tec or 200 hpdi for repower

stmry

Reaction score
Which would you suggest to repower a 1997 seafarer 226? I want a 2-stroke due to the motor weight limitations for the year of my hull.
Thanks

Desperado

Reaction score
I have had good luck with the 200 HPDIs. The 2.6l block is a solid performer. You can also buy the factory Yamaha cable and software (about $250) that lets you hook them to your laptop for troubleshooting. This greatly cuts down on thwe cost of shop repairs when you already know what sensor may be acting up. I have heard the Etecs are good, but I have no firsthand knowledge.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think the etecs are a bit pricey to buy and oil up, the HPDI 200 is a legend, and you have the Opti 200. The etec and Opti ( I think) come in two versions of block at the 200 HP range. You would want the smaller block to conserve weight.

If 175 is enough, consider the Suzie 4 stroke 175, if you fall prey to the 4 stroke marketing black magic.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Etec 200hp HO will push that hull 45mph. Engine weight would not be an issue.

Reaction score
I'm currently replacing my Evenrude 200hp Ocean Pro and 9.9 4 stroke Evinrude on my 1996 226 with a Yamaha 200hp 4 stroke. The dealer and I forsee no weight/trim problem.
When I add up the current weight of two motors, oil tank, and 4 stoke bracket, the new configuration should weigh at least 20# less.
She should be in the water by the end of this week.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I repowered my 86' Overnighter with a 225 E-Tec last season and LOVE IT! The motor is a beast, quiet, clean, powerful. They are a bit pricey, but definitely worth it IMHO, as there is 0 maintenance for the first three years, no pricey oil changes, etc. If you have it programmed to burn the XD100, it sips oil so sparingly that I sometimes wonder if it is actually burning any.

Just my $.02

Bren

stmry

Reaction score
repower

Thanks for the replies. steve

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You may be able to get a HPDI take-off with reasonable hours - that would probably be my first choice. Save several grand, get several years of good service from a good motor. With a single, you could even get by with a counter-rotating one from a split pair.

If you're keeping the boat long term and intent on buying a new motor, then I would seriously consider the e-tec. If you're going to sell within a couple of years, get a Yamaha. People are more familiar with them so it's a comfort level/perception thing.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
yami, trust me

e-tech, have fun finding a true certified tech on these motors!

and the yami software is not 250, it is around 400 now!!! WTF!