225 Freedom

BCLII

Reaction score
Can a person rig a T 9.9 kicker on this boat with the aft deck on?
Thanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Do you mean can you rig a kicker with a full width swim platform? I have a 228 with a full width swim platform and I do not see that this is possible. If the motor bracket extends 18 inches beyond the stern then perhaps it is.

BCLII

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I was asking about the full width platform. I did not think one could put a kicker trolling motor on with that platform. Maybe I will have to look at the Freedom 205. I see GW makes the 22' walk around with or without the swim platform, 226 vs 228.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I suspect and I could be wrong that you could order a 225 without a full width platform. You can order both the 226 228 with a port side only swim platform.

Reaction score
No problem putting an emergency standby kicker on a 225 Freedom. I purchased a 2008 225 Tournament in Singapore last year and moved it up here to Phuket Thailand. I'm in the process of installing a Yamaha 9.9GMHL High Thrust on a Garalick Bracket this week (23/4/12). I saw another GW225T at the Ao Po Marina in Phuket with the exact same installation. The resort that owns the other 225 had the GW dealership in S'pore cut out the recessed part of the swim platform where the swim ladder normally rests. The Garalick Bracket is then thru bolted directly onto the port side of the transom with two large 3" x 12" S.S. backing plates. An access panel/inspection hatch has to be cut into the cooler/fish box to fit the bolts. For fuel, a T-fitting is installed down-line of the Racor water separator. The swim ladder can then be repositioned over to the starboard side of the swim platform.

The stern of boat will tend to sit a bit lower than normal with the extra 125lbs bolted onto the back-end but I have offset the aft C of G issue by moving the two AGM batteries (130lbs) forward, above the deck, under the helm. This not only helps balance the C of G, but also provides much better access to the batteries with access through the hatch where the tackle box once sat.

All boats over here on this side of GMT have to have some sort of back-up. With no SeaTow or Coast Guard over here, the Andaman Sea/Indian Ocean is not the place to be adrift.....with the tide going out, the sun going down and a storm on the horizon.........

bdb9a8e3.jpg

Vic H

Reaction score
We just bought a new (to us) 2012 Freedom 225. For 2012, the ladder is now on the starboard side of the Armstrong bracket and the port side is pre-drilled with 4 holes which the dealer told us is for mounting a kicker bracket if desired. The holes are capped for those of us that do not need a kicker.

Vic

BCLII

Reaction score
Thanks Vic, how do you like your 225? We ended up buying a 2009 205 instead of a 225. I'm allready slightly regretting not getting a 225. :-|

Vic H

Reaction score
We just picked up our boat last Thursday, then cruised the Indian River (ICW) from Vero Beach to Indian Harbour Beach where she now sits in rack storage. That run was about 40 miles, which gave me a chance to to feel her out. Our last Grady was a 208 Adventure which we sold back in 1997, due to a change in job location. So far this boat is all I hoped it would be. Weather permitting, we plan to go out tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Thanks for asking,
Vic