225 Shakedown Cruise

CBH IV

Reaction score
We purchased a 2005 225 Tournament back right after Christmas. I have been working on it all winter with the goal of having it ready to go in the water on April 1st. Well we were 2 days late :), weather stopped us on Friday, but we were finally ready to splash her yesterday. It was the first time we have ever run the boat so to say we were a bit anxious to see how she ran is a bit of an understatement.

Happy to report everything went as smooth as possible. Engine idles smooth, sweet spot for cruising is around 4400 rpms at 27mph. WOT we hit 5800 and 39 mph. F225 with a powertech 4 blade, 15-1/4 x 15 prop. The 4 blade performs really well in all aspects except top end speed which was to be expected. We were extremely pleased, even got to stick out of the mouth of the river into the bay and test her out in a decent chop blowing 20 from the NNW. Once I found the sweet spot with tabs and trim we were able to make about 23mph at 3900rpms in a tight 2 ft chop with a 3 ft mixed in staying comfortable and dry. Really, really impressed with this hull for a 22ft boat.

Now I need to spend some time around an uncrowded dock. I had a heck of a time trying to back into a slip. I had that motor tilted up some so the reverse thrust doesn't hit the transom, but just couldn't quite figure it out. I think the engine being so far back on the bracket is putting the pivot point where I am not used to and it will take some time to adjust. I grew up on a twin engine inboard so that was cheating :p .

I would love to hear any docking tips from anyone running this boat, or any tips at all for the boat as we are just beginning to learn it and really looking forward to an awesome first summer.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
We also just purchased a used 225 from 2015. Same hull as yours. I too noticed reverse steering is almost non-existent compared to our previous 192. In windy conditions plan ahead and use wind to position bow where you want while reversing. Otherwise give a bit more throttle than you are use to as long as you have enough room to finish the maneuver in forward. 6D5A9231-8519-4E64-9FFA-5742D612B0E0.jpg

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It is extremely hard to convey docking advice through typewritten words.

You have outlined all the key factors above; Tilting the engine up, realizing the engine is on a bracket, etc. I have two relevant observations.

1.) You mentioned an "uncrowded" dock. This cannot be overstated, not only to avoid hitting other boats in a tight situation, but to eliminate observers on the finger pier, shouting well-meaning but distracting instructions. You need to be totally alone, with a possible passenger to help fend off, handle lines, etc. No one ashore will be able to teach you what helm time aboard will.

2.) Pick a calm day and devote that day to really diving into it. This way, you can really learn the close-quarter nuances of the boat without wind & current working against you. Once you get a good grip on how the boat handles in calm situations and internalize those concepts, then you have the tools to compensate for wind/current.

SeanAh192 makes a good point: Use more throttle to help horse the boat where you want it to go as long as you have room to finish or to back out and try again.