225 Tournament, biggest GPS? HDS12?

06_Grady_225

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Does anyone have a 12" or so GPS mounted in the "glovebox" of their 225? What's the biggest you've tried to stuff in there?

I've measured, figured, head scratched... and I think an HDS12 would fit. anyone with that setup? Pix? Suggestions?

Assuming the doors would be open while in use, IE the unit would be mounted inside, doors closing in front of it. I'd rather not lose the ability to chuck wallet/keys/phone/etc in there. Should be maybe 4-5" available to the right; just need to put some sort of wall in there such that said keys don't get lost behind the gps screen.

Looking at the HDS12 Live with 3-in-1 transducer... looking forward to seeing what the bottom of the harbor, and the usual fishing spots really looks like.

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
I had a hdslive-9 on my 97 225. Covered the box with starboard and flush mounted it there looked great and just barely fit height wise.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The newer 225s have a bigger box. You should be able to get the 12 in there, but it will be tight.

I know you don’t want to lose the storage, but you might consider flush mounting it in a piece of acrylic or carbon fiber. It will fit comfortably that way.

BrooklynJoe

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
My Simrad GO9 fit with no problem...I would think a 12 would be tight. This is a 2006 225....I ended up flush mounting and kept the hinges and latch so that I could still access the enclosure.

Attachments

• E9D9C0E9-4E93-467E-866A-24FBCFEA04DE.jpeg
    E9D9C0E9-4E93-467E-866A-24FBCFEA04DE.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 5

06_Grady_225

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
My Simrad GO9 fit with no problem...I would think a 12 would be tight. This is a 2006 225....I ended up flush mounting and kept the hinges and latch so that I could still access the enclosure.
^^^ Ha! I was thinking of doing the same, but thought it maybe too crazy an idea. Guess it works OK!

Is it then just a challenge of minimizing stress on the cables? and, did you consider keeping the bottom hinges instead? I had wondered if that would be a little more ergonomic. Hinges up top probably keeps the top seal tighter, IE box more weatherproof.

Thanks!

BrooklynJoe

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Just thought it would be a bit more difficult to put stuff in the box from the top, this wat the rear of the Simrad kinda lifts up out of the way. Could be done either way though.
Bit of stress on the cables but they seem to go back when I shut the door ok...

fastexas

Reaction score
I have a Lowrance HDS 9" in mine.....seems adequate and gives me some space to store small items along the sides. Not a lot of handy cubbies in this boat so I didn't want to jam in a 12".
Might fit though...take some measurements.

06_Grady_225

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I have a Lowrance HDS 9" in mine.....seems adequate and gives me some space to store small items along the sides. Not a lot of handy cubbies in this boat so I didn't want to jam in a 12".
Might fit though...take some measurements.
Thanks for relaying the experience. 9" screen would certainly be an upgrade from what's there now.
Which generation do you have? (Live, Gen3, Gen2...) Works OK for navigation? If you have one of the long transducers, guessing you have it under the OB bracket? stays in place ok?
Tempting to pick up a second-hand unit and just get a feel for it, then maybe upgrade later pending how it's used etc.

fastexas

Reaction score
Thanks for relaying the experience. 9" screen would certainly be an upgrade from what's there now.
Which generation do you have? (Live, Gen3, Gen2...) Works OK for navigation? If you have one of the long transducers, guessing you have it under the OB bracket? stays in place ok?
Tempting to pick up a second-hand unit and just get a feel for it, then maybe upgrade later pending how it's used etc.

I think it's a Gen 2...bought in 2018. I use the transom mount TotalScan transducer it came with. Works very well