225 Tournament/Freedom Questions

CBH IV

Reaction score
Two questions for folks with experience on the 225:

1) How comfortable is this model to operate while standing? I know a lot of the DC boats you have to somewhat hunch over to operate while standing. I prefer to do most of my driving in the standing position.

2) has anyone installed extra rod holders and where? I know there are 4 in the gunnel and 6 under gunnel holders, but lets be honest, the under gunnel holders usually catch your boat hooks, brushes, anchor light etc. They are also a good way to break a tip on your rod. Any other good places to store rods other than installing a fabricated rod holder across the exterior of the transom?

Koby

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Hi CBH,

I have a ‘98 Tournament 225, I’ve had it for five seasons now. Before this boat, I had a SeaCraft 23, 28’ Seaworthy downeaster and a 20’ Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman. This is the least fishy boat I’ve owned.

Having said that, it perfectly fits my needs right now with a wife and a nine year old our time is about 80% cruising and sand bar and 20% fishing. Before family it was 100% fishing

I too run the boat standing up, I’m short at 5’7” tall and my only gripe is the wind catches me right in the eyes coming off the windshield. I don’t have a set of curtains, just a Bimini top so I have nothing to break the wind. Maybe next season though.

Rod storage isn’t what I was used to either. But, since I don’t fish like I once did it hasn’t been an issue. I usually keep four spinning rods under the gunnels, two light/medium duty and two medium/heavy duty in case we run across a bunch of breaking fish or I get bored on the sandbar and want to cast.

I added a set of four rod holder to the aft bulkhead wall right in front of the bait well. It helps when needed but like I said, I just scaled down my fishing to what the boat can provide.

Also, the cockpit space in this thing is fantastic. It rivals that on my downeaster. Just tons of room for...well for beach toys.

CBH IV

Reaction score
Thanks Koby. The one we are looking at is the newer style with the head and flip down stern seat so the rod holders on the livewell isn't an option. Eventually the plan would be to put a hardtop on it with rod holders but that would be down the road. Our use is much like yours, but when the boys want to go fishing I like to have plenty of rod storage. May just have to work around it until a hardtop fits the budget.

Reactions: Koby

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Like Koby, I have the old style 225.

Running the boat standing up is fine. I'm 6'3" and can do it without being hunched over. Where you run into trouble with some DCs is when they use a side mount throttle. At speed, the throttle is too low if you are standing up. I owned a 205 and sold it after about 3 months because I missed this detail on the sea trial and realized almost immediately how uncomfortable it was to run the boat standing up.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hi, I've owned a 1991 Tournament 225 for 12 years. I'm 5'11", 240 and drive standing up pretty much 99% of the time. Never have any issues with being cramped or line of sight etc. I've experimented without success on putting down rubber mats to try and absorb some of the shock so if anyone has recommendations there that would be good to hear. In terms of rod holders, I've got 4 rocket launchers inset into the gunnel and 6 under the gunnels, they work fine for us. (but I'm also not big into fishing). They're great boats, can't go wrong in my opinion. If I can answer any questions let me know.

Bottomfeeder

Reaction score
1995 225 here , like running the boat standing up as others do. Another Option for additional rod holders would be :
Radar arch but if you’re thinking hard top in the future, might not be cost effective , or
rod holder arch that attaches to the Bimini. My friend put one on his boat and it actually works good.
rod holders are plastic so wouldn’t put 50 wides in them but light spinners are no problem. Cost about $70 bucks.

CBH IV

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! We are trying to close the deal on the boat now. The helm really seems well laid out and comfortable for either sitting or standing. A new helm chair with a flip up bolster would really make it nice..... oh the projects you think of with a new to you boat