225 Tournament insights (or vs. 205)

Backwaters

Reaction score
A little background...I currently own a Scout 172 Dorado (very shallow running boat). It has been great, but our small family is no longer small so we are looking for more space.
Key points:
  • Boat mainly in NC, but also FL, fresh and saltwater
  • Fishing: mostly shallow areas (very shallow in coastal NC) but would like to be able to head a few miles offshore on good days
  • Water sports: wife and kids like to ski/tube
  • Island hop a lot in NC and FL, preferring to pull up, offload on the sand and then anchor
  • Wife wants something comfortable
  • We trailer so we can head to different sites most summer weekends
Yes, I just described a Coastal Explorer but we prefer DC's over CC's plus I don't want to shell out $100K plus for a boat I will bang rods, weights and skis around in.

The 205 looks great, and easier to tow/store, but the 225 seems to be not much more weight, almost the same draft, but gives more space and likely better near shore performance.

So, finally my questions (but feel free to answer what I did not know to ask!)
  1. Any thoughts on the 205 vs 225?
  2. Any significant differences in the 225 from around 2003-2010 (most used seem to be in this range, and I am going used)
  3. Any thoughts on minimum hp? ( we cruise around 25mph, that is not an issue, but have to be able to pop up a full grown man on skis with 5-6 people in the boat...ie good hole shot)
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 225 was redesigned in 2003. Most were powered with either F225 or F250s although occasionally you see one with an F200.

the F225 is plenty of power. The F250 is great. They are both mid 40s top end speed; it’s a heavy hull.

If it’s a pre 2006-2007 motor, be sure it’s been scoped for exhaust corrosion and/or had the repair completed.

Backwaters

Reaction score
I believe I had read the use of wood was reduced in 2007. Is that accurate?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW has used wood for years. Anything after 98 used Greenwood which was encapsulated.