225 Tournament Power recomendations

GPR

Reaction score
I looking to purchase a newer used Grady White 225 Tournament -- 2003 or later. Have found very few, most have a Yamaha 225 vs. a 250. Is there a significant difference? Most of our fishing use will be off Cape Cod Mass.

Thanks!:D

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
GPR said:
I looking to purchase a newer used Grady White 225 Tournament -- 2003 or later. Have found very few, most have a Yamaha 225 vs. a 250. Is there a significant difference? Most of our fishing use will be off Cape Cod Mass.

Thanks!:D
My 2008 225 has the F250. The main differences I believe are I need to use 89 or greater octane gas to get the rated HP and the 250 has variable valve timing which I don't think the 225 has. My 250 has been a joy. I use ring free and Pri G with every tank of 89 fuel. I don't think I would care which engine the boat had if the boat was everything I was looking for. Good luck with your search. You'll love the Tournament.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
I have a 1991 Tournament 225 that came with a Yamaha 225 2 stroke. It had plenty of power and would get on plane very quickly. With that said I just "updated" to a Yamaha 250 OX66 2 stroke. I think you'll be happy with either a 225 or 250. I also ran into a number of dealers who suggested going with a 200 HPDI. I had to stay with a 2 stroke due to weight.
Either way, the Tournament is a fun boat to own and operate. Good luck!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Most of the earlier (2003-2005) vintage 225s will have F225s. If I recall, the F250 wasn't available until 2006.

When the F250 came out, the price difference was negligible (less than $900 I believe) and so naturally most folks upgraded.

The F225 was not Yamaha's strongest motor. I had one on a 205....it was a great motor but my performance numbers were almost identical to that of a 205 with an F200. On a 225, your top end will probably be 44-45 or so. The same boat with an F250, on a sea trial, hit 49. That was on a green (less than 20 hours) motor.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Got Grady? said:
So is my 228 underpowered with a 200 ox66? It will run 42 wot using some trim and trim tabs. I thought that was ok myself but now I am wondering otherwise.

My 228 (also with a 200 SWS) ran 42-43 at WOT. My 226 had a 200 HPDI and it would just hit 41. The 226 had a hardtop, which adds 500 lbs and some additional wind drag. Your numbers sound about right.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have a 250 and it is definitely plenty strong. I haven't experienced the difference with a 225, but here is my 2 cents. You don't really use the WOT numbers too often, so that doesn't matter that much to me. However, when you put 4 adults, 5 kids and a day's worth of coolers and gear in the boat, that's when you need some push. Given the quantity of 250's that are around, I would look for one of them. I suspect the resale value will reward you anyway...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My 228 has the F250 and it tops out at 43. I have a hard top and typically have 2 adults and 3 kids on board. Not sure the 225 would actually be much slower. Maybe the 250 gives you more power out of the hole maybe? I dont honestly know as I have never been on 225 or 228 with a f225 motor, just speculation..

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
So is my 228 underpowered with a 200 ox66?

'Underpowered' is relative, but I thought the 228 I fished on with the same 200 was no better than 'adequate' with two people, partial fuel, and nominal load. I rarely run wide open, so top end isn't very important to me, but efficient ops when full of fuel, people, and fishing stuff is. I'd go with the 250. Cost difference is negligible, no more weight, probably no more costly to operate/maintain ... :wink:

leek

Reaction score
I have a t225 with 250hp four stroke plus 9.9 kicker. Runs well, top speed around 48. Most of my running however is around 30. I think either engine is fine.

Petefish

Reaction score
You should be worried more about finding a Tournament than what engine it has. I live in Jersey and got mine from Maine. Weren't that many to choose from when I was looking. I have a 2003 with a 225 on it. I'm sure the 250 is nice but I don't want or wish for it. The 225 has plenty of power for this boat . Gets me well over 40 if I want it. Pulls the kids on the tube like they are not even there. Like a previous post said your probably gonna run at 30 or less anyway most of the time so you don't toss the family and either engine will do that with ease. This is an awesome boat with either engine. Find one and buy it. Good luck!

Tashmoo

Reaction score
In my eyes the point of having extra horsepower is to have it when you need it most, it is not WOT. This means for example when you have four people, a full tank of gas and the weather kicks up crappy, you can get home safely. The point is to have the ability mussel up and down a building sea, nothing is worse than needing the power and not having it. Whenever you can have more HP take it. If you never need to find out if it would have saved you, you can consider yourself a lucky person.

In about eighteen years of boating I have had two situations that made me dam glad I had enough HP to fight through bad weather and rough seas. In both cases the weather came out of nowhere and I am typically the first guy to head for port when weather approaches; some time despite your best efforts it still catches you.

On a side note, now I have satellite weather and would never be without it again.

Petefish

Reaction score
The 225 gives you more than what you need for safety. Just because they now come with 250's they are not by any means under powered with a 225. Any 22 tournament owner with a 225 on it will tell you the same. You will be very very happy with this boat no matter which motor is on it.

G8RDave

Reaction score
My 228 has the F225. The F225 is plenty of power. While I generally fall into the "more is better" category of guys, I think you'd be fine with the F225. I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed more power, and I routinely run with 8 people on board loaded down with coolers, canopies, food, almost enough beer, etc when we go island hopping. Does it jump onto plane that loaded down? No. But it gets there just fine.

With a normal load of 4 guys, full fuel, ready to fish, I top out at 44mph.