225 Yamaha

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Put boat in water today started motors and noticed water pouring out on starboard motor. Is this s serious thing or can it be a faulty poppet .IMG_0358.jpg

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It could possibly be a stick open thermostat. How long has it been since they were changed? I recommend changing them every 2 years.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't think an open t-stat will do that. If it did, you would see this water almost all the time when the engine is warmed up. If it is a poppet you would expect the motor to overheat or at least get pretty warm at low speeds. I am not sure but if that port is the bypass port, I suppose a stuck poem poppet could be the cause. It just seems like a lot more water than I would expect. At a minimum pull the cowling and look for water in the bottom. The poppet is not too expensive and not super difficult to change. Hopefully it's that simple

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What about a cylinder head anode? Seems like it might shoot cooling water into the cowling if one of those melted away, wouldn't it? (SWAG)

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A stuck open poppet valve can cause that. As long as the boat isn't moving there is enough back pressure to force the water out the exhaust relief port. As seasick said, you should get an overheat condition if you continue idling for a long time. If you run the boat at speed the overheat warning should go away.

mjwilly

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
My 2003 Sailfish (new to me in 2012) port side F225 began to idle rough (1000- 1100) and "sprayed" through the exhaust port while at idle, starting in 2014. When I asked the dealer if this could be the poppet he told me that this was common in some engines. I never believed it and had it scoped each fall... evidentially not well enough as in 2017 it succumbed to the dreaded exhaust corrosion.

Fishtales

Reaction score
could it be a breached exhaust tube?

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That’s the exact thing that was happening to my port motor until a mid section exhaust replacement, after that no more water and wicked quiet.

seasick

Reaction score
My 2003 Sailfish (new to me in 2012) port side F225 began to idle rough (1000- 1100) and "sprayed" through the exhaust port while at idle, starting in 2014. When I asked the dealer if this could be the poppet he told me that this was common in some engines. I never believed it and had it scoped each fall... evidentially not well enough as in 2017 it succumbed to the dreaded exhaust corrosion.
Hmmm. Was that motor 2003 vintage also?
When you say it succumbed to the corrosion issue, did the power hear blow up? Did that motor get torn down for a post mortem? I am not aware of exhaust issues on that model year.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The main problem was the exhaust tuner will corrode through and leak water into the engine oil.

mjwilly

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Bob's problem could be a number of things, I was just sharing my experience with similar symptoms.

Yes, it was 2003 282 Sailfish Twin F225 1100 hours. In 2017 had the dealer do the scope as was frustrated with performance. Upon further inspection the port outboard dry exhaust stack actually had a hole through it on one side. When inspected the base of the power head it has been damaged by the corrosion and would have needed replacement. Similarly, the starboard outboard showed corrosion on the upper portion of the dry exhaust stack.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yamaha’s answer to the Corrosion problem was to install a protective coating I have seen where the replacement parts to fix the exhaust had the coating worn off by exhaust gasses and corrosion had started again. I’ve seen 225hp and some 250hp with the “Yamarot”.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Also, the dry exhaust would leak into the cooling water passage and cause overheating. Maybe in your case, blow extra water out the back under pressure and not overheat because it is blowing into water passages that have already been through the motor. Just a thought.

seasick

Reaction score
I have seen where the oil pan corrodes. Eventually water pimps into the oil and KABOOM.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Question for the OP. Does this happen just on initial start up? Every time? How long does it last etc? I only ask because my motors do this on initial start up if haven't ran in a while and last about 30 second.

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Question for the OP. Does this happen just on initial start up? Every time? How long does it last etc? I only ask because my motors do this on initial start up if haven't ran in a while and last about 30 second.
Yes when it first starts Only starboard motor after 10 minutes or so just a trickle. Just had new power head last year due to corrosion.