225ox 66 1999 year

Gianni

Reaction score
Hey how many thermostats per Motor on this model. Thank you

seasick

Reaction score
Your cooling chambers look quite good. How many hours on that motor and what kind of usage ( saltwater, fresh, a little of this and a little of that). I assume you flush religiously

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I appreciate the comment because I had no idea what good looked like!
I just change out the thermostats a month or so ago. To the best of my knowledge they were original.
Off the top of my head the engine has roughly 500 hours. Never flushed since we have owned it because it hasn't seen salt water since we bought it 9 years ago!
I'm not sure what a bad thermostat looks like on an outboard (car yes), but since they were likely 20 years old, I thought it might not be a bad idea to change them.

seasick

Reaction score
Some t-stats failures are obvious when inspected, like stuck open when cool or a tilted 'valve' due to broken spring or spring frame. Many times though they get sluggish either opening or closing or don't open all the way. The only sure test is a pot of heated water and a thermometer. If you have multiple states, heat up both at the same time so that you see if one is slower than the other.

I also often practice you approach to maintenance for some areas. It is called routine maintenance driven by guilt! After so many seasons, I start to feel guilty about not changing some parts:)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My sole reason for checking t-stats is to clean the salt goo out of there and to remove the bolts so they won't snap off when I NEED to remove them. That usually means new gaskets and sometimes new t-stats because the seals are bad after taking it apart. The only failure of t-stats I have ever seen are "stuck open".
In fresh water I can imagine never needing to mess with them. The housings on my 0x66s don't look like that!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My sole reason for checking t-stats is to clean the salt goo out of there and to remove the bolts so they won't snap off when I NEED to remove them. That usually means new gaskets and sometimes new t-stats because the seals are bad after taking it apart. The only failure of t-stats I have ever seen are "stuck open".
In fresh water I can imagine never needing to mess with them. The housings on my 0x66s don't look like that!
If any of you have photos of what typical would look like, please share. I might be replacing this engine for a used, but much newer one. I need to know what I should expect.