226/228 hardtop- can someone measure theirs?

zimm

Reaction score
I'm interested in putting a hardtop on my 226, but I need to make sure it'll clear under my steel canopy first- my canopy legs are 8' and it goes over 10' in the middle. I'm not sure what the best way to measure it is- but if someone has a hardtop on their 226/228, maybe measure the height from the gunwale top, or windshield frame and tell me how tall it is? How side is it?

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 228-G is in storage at the marina about 85 miles from here so I can't just run out and get a measurment. However, I can tell you that with me standing at 6' 1" in the center, I have about 12 inches clearence. The top measures 6' fore and aft and 5' port to starboard. (Within an inch approximate)

I would encourage you to just have your hard top installed because you will enhance your boating enjoyment. I could go over the reasons, but you probably know them all. Mine was a custom job and I would do it again.

Then purchase side extensions for the storage shed. Most companies sell them in 5' lengths.

Safe boating,
Bob

zimm

Reaction score
It's hard to eye ball it from the pics, but it looks like it won't fit to me. I'll need to measure to be sure. If I get a top made- I'm sure I could spec a lower height- I don't need a foot over my head do I? I could forgo the overhead electronics box, etc- I only need it for shade and I can relocate the nav light, antenna, etc up there.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Zimm;

I'll measure mine when I get home. Its the factory hard top. I really don't think you'll want one much shorter. I keep my lifejackets in the factory zipper net attached to the underside of the hardtop.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Zimm;

I agree with rcrudder; Get the hardtop and reconfigure the shed.

I don't think it'll fit under your shed with a hardtop anyway.

zimm

Reaction score
Well the problem is there are two of those shed/canopies. One next to the house my mother parks her SUV under- the boat has to back up through that, then a straight shot into the 28' long one in the back yard. So going taller isn't an option. If the hard top won't work, my parents want to chop down the car canopy lower so the boat <just> passes through it. It's looks pretty goofy next to the house sitting that high with an SUV under it.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You will be over 11' high....and then if you mount antennas, lights, rocket launchers, etc...you will be even higher.

Don't laugh (I know you just bought the boat)....but you may be better off selling it and looking for one with a hardtop already installed...I went through the same exercise a few years back and found that a hardtop would be over $4K installed....wound up selling my 228 and bought a 226 with a factory hardtop and the difference was substantially less...plus I found a newer boat...went from a 99 to an '01 at the time.

I say run it for the summer...put it up for sale after the season and it will sell...then you have all winter to look for a 226 or 228 with a factory hardtop...also will give you time to convince mom that a higher canopy is necessary :grin:

G8RDave

Reaction score
My top measures 85 inches from the deck to the top of the rod holders on the aft end of the hardtop and 69 inches from the side walkway by the midship cleat to a place tall enough to clear the middle of the top with all-around light included.

zimm

Reaction score
Thanks for the measurements. Ill go check mine. As for selling it? No way. I've never seen a more pristine 2001 in my life. It looks like a 1-2 year old boat. Maybe in a few years I could sell it for a 27-30 footer with hardtop.

noXcuse

Reaction score
Minus the radar, mine is right at 11.5' from the ground to the highest point of the hardtop. I have the older hull, but I'm sure they're close to the same. I'm sure the roller trailer makes it a little taller, but not much though.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Zimm,
My advice is not to be cheap here at all. Think about your needs and then think resale. I am 5.5 and sure I dont need all that space above my head, but one day I will sell the boat and perhaps a 6.3 guy will buy it. Second, storage is a premium on the boat as you know. The overhead net for my life jackets and the overhead electronics boxes, as I have two on my boat, are a real blessing. Do not short yourself here at all in both the current needs and wants and future resale market appeal and do a hard top the right height with overhead storage options and eboxes. My VHF and audio units are overhead and my Garmin is the ebox with ample space for expansion of Garmin components in there as well.

zimm

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Buuuuut..... It won't fit under my storage canopies, it's expensive, I'd need a new custom cover, and it makes trailering harder. I'll wait for the next boat to get a hard top. For now the bimini will work and I can put it away when I want to get some sun. Plus it's "free", I already own it.

I

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Zimm,
I have mine under a metal shed similar to yours and they do make extensions for those legs which is a cheap modification. I trailer my boat nearly 3,000 miles a year with 2 or 3 long trips to Florida and it is essentially your boat. I pull it with a 2008 Tundra with 5.7 liter. The hard top makes little difference in being able to tow it down the high way or pulling into gas stations. Now you aint going through the drive thru at Chick Fil A with it, but take it from a guy trailers his boat all over the southeast from the mountains of NC to the Florida Keys the hard top is not an issue at all either in handling while trailering or noticable fuel economy.

Now locally here in the mountains my Grady is the only one a lake filled with Triton bass boats and Sunchaser pontoons. When I rented a slip with a cover it was harder to find because of the height. One there are a handful of marinas on Lake Fontana and two there are even fewer covered slips. If it is in your budget to do a hard top you owe it to yourself to price out those leg extensions on the metal shed.