226/228 outboard clearance

tomk

Reaction score
Hi, I am evaluating both the GW 226 and 228 as options to buying one second hand. Can owners of either boat tell me whether their outboard lifts all the way out of the water when at rest? From pics on the net, it looks like an outboard on the 226 clears the water, but the 228 appears to have some of the gearbox below water. However, its hard to tell from the limited photos I can find, so I am very keen to hear from people who actually use either boat. With luck I am hoping to buy one of the 2 boats with a 4st Yamaha on it, and would moor the boat. My preference is for the motor to lift clear of the water when moored...hence this post.
Thanks. Tom

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The lower unit of my F250 is out of the water when tilted all the way up.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the f 250/ 228 combination and as you mention part of my lower unit does not clear the water . I looked into this and understand that the best solution is to paint that part of the LU that doesn't clear the water with Trilux aluminum anti fouling paint each year. I was worried about it as well but people who have had this situation for 7 and 8 yrs told me that's the way to go. Ultimately your call.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have a 2008 228 and the front part of the skeg and the lower part of the bullet of the gear box of the F250 remains in the water when tilted up. I trailer my boat so this is not an issue for me. Personally, I like the layout of the 228 over the 226 with the full enclosed stern, center line live well and the bracketed motor and full width swim platform over the notched stern of the 226.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just a couple of comments about the 226 vs the 228.

While there is no doubt that the 228 has a better layout for fishing, swimming, and diving, the 2 models have different handling characteristics. The 228 likes to run fast. The ones that I took for test drives didn't like to stay on plan in a chop at less than ~30 mph. The 228 has a slight tendency to porpoise at certain speeds. This can be controlled with the engine trim and trim tabs. The 226 will plane at lower speeds than the 228 and has no tendency to porpoise at any speed. I can keep mine up solid at 25 mph. The 226 also runs better in really bad seas where you need to slow down and keep the bow up. It tracks straighter than the 228 when off plane.

They both have impressive rides for 22' hulls. They aren't fast hulls that ride on top of the waves like Yellowfins and Regulators. But they are stable and dry if you trim them right.

Take a test ride in each boat and see which one you like. Try to pick a choppy day.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Both are great boats, I have the 228 and for my use wouldn't consider anything else. The extra room with the swim platform and stern would be enough but as already noted there are other substantial differences in layout. Mine is the same in relation to the lower unit staying in the water but I trailer as well. The ones I've seen in wet slips paint the exposed parts of the lower unit. These are the kind of boats you buy, customize and keep for a very long time.

awheeler

Reaction score
I have a 1990 228 with a 2010 200hp Evenrude ETEC. The engine stays out of the water when raised.

I had a 2 cycle Yamaha 200HP up until it quit 2 years ago. Went with the Evenrude ETEC to avoid the problem others have had with the heaver 4 stroke Yamaha causing the engine to stay in the water when on moring.

I do not appear to get the same performance with the ETEC a I did with the 2 stroke Yamaha. Lower top end speed. The gas milage appears to be the same as with the Yamaha.

Al

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 228G and just a small bit of the gear case is in the water on full tilt. My motor is a 200 Yamaha HDPI. Remember the (G) means it is on a bracket.

Since someone above mentioned it. . .performance. I have no problem with the running of the boat in open water, but that sucker has a mind of its own in tight spaces with just a little wind. It really wants to rotate around the bracket like no other OB that I have ever owned. A stern mount is easier as far as I am concerned to manuever. However, I really like the extra space and noise level with the bracket mount.

moccq

Reaction score
I noticed this post and wanted to comment and ask a question, my 226 with an F250 ( 2005) , I noticed she sits a bit stern heavy with the water line just into the stern scuppers, with 4 folks aboard the waterline is about 1/4 the way up the scupper and when at rest and engine up , just a few inches of the lower unit touch the water, wondering if this is normal ( note: full tank of gas and water) .

Also noticed I have to be very careful in tight quarters trying to back into slips and managing prop walk ..any feedback on handling and manuvering would be welcome..

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have found that it just takes more area for my 228G to properly "answer up" in tight spaces. I have also found that the motor needs to be turned more to a neutral position (forward/aft) when changing from forward to reverse or opposite while manuevering.

I might suggest fenders and a good crew to help fend off other boats and docks when things really get tight.

I too would be interested in others who have this boat with the motor on a bracket.

Bob

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The older models, which were engineered for 2 stroke engines, are stern heavy with the big 4 strokes. Around 2007/8, they changed the balance point by going with a single fuel tank, moving the water tank, and maybe making other changes. My 2008 sits well above the scuppers. I can't think of a solution for the older hulls.

You can greatly improve handling and reduce prop walk by trimming the engine WAY up when you maneuver at slow speed or in reverse. I mean WAY up. Almost letting the prop break the top of the water. This pushes the bow up a little, changes the center of torque, and cuts down on the tendency of the hull to veer. This also reduces the amount of prop backwash caused by the water bouncing back off the bracket and hull when in reverse. It helps with both hulls but is very important for the 228.

I keep trimmed out pretty far when idling through no wake zones. That reduces the prop walk to an acceptable level.

The SV2 is an interesting hull design. The strakes up front keep the boat tracking straight at speed. But the smooth bottom aft makes poor low speed handling something that we just have to get used to.

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will have to try that trim up backing. It goes against my basic instincts. So, I will practice it away from anything that I might damage.

My boat is a 1999 with the single fuel tank and the water tank forward under the port seat. It also has the Sv2 hull.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob

GulfSea

Reaction score
rcrudder said:
I will have to try that trim up backing. It goes against my basic instincts. So, I will practice it away from anything that I might damage.

My boat is a 1999 with the single fuel tank and the water tank forward under the port seat. It also has the Sv2 hull.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob

I always trim up when docking. Works like a charm to feather the momentum of the big engine and bracket.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents on the 228 handling ideas mentioned here: I've found that trimming the engine up to the top of the trim cyclinders substantially improves handling around dock and backing. I personally haven't had the need to trim up any further than that.

If it's very windy, rolling up the curtains will aid greatly in reducing that "sail effect".

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I never sea trialed or even looked at the 226, but with that said, I went from the 192 to the 228. It took me maybe 20 hours of running her to get the feel of the boat. I used some tips here like the trim position around the dock. Once you get use to her handeling characteristics, the 228 is a fine boat. I do find in certain following seas she seems to squat in the swell and it takes a little powering up to get her out of a swell. I dont know how to describe the squat other than it is like the boat is stalled or there is drag on her at the bottom of the swell. This really only happens if the swells are 3 foot or bigger.

The porpoising and so forth DocStressor mentions is easily corrected with the trims tabs. My 192 would porpoise at times and she had no tabs, so we would need to use the engine trim.

sandgroper

Reaction score
Hi Tom, I have a 228G with a transom jack installed as I thought the motor is a bit too low to the water. With the transom jack, the gearbox is certainly clear of the water.